• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

peterpiper

Apprentice Member
First Name
peter
Got a really nice blank of Honduras Rosewood, unsure whether to use B.L.O. with C.A. or just use C.A.
will it make a significant difference, am asking you peeps 'cos I don't want to c**k it up!!
T.I.A.
pete

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Only difference I find is it is easier using BLO . On the occasions that I have used CA alone I invariably get the tissue stuck to the blank (disaster) but that may be my fault alone and not due to the absence of the oil...funnily enough I did it to day :rolling:

Macaronytony

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Tried it all ways. :rolling: The best way that works for me is using the little plastic bags that come with the pen kit.
Stopped using the tissue for the same reason, every now and then it would just catch.... :vangry:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
When I use CA I go for the BLO/CA route. I am now trying acrylic gloss on them

Jim

Grand Master
If you want the wood to darken up then go with the BLO .. Personally i just think it is extra work Peter ..

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
SAfer to stay with cA alone also some Rosewoods do better with a careful wipe with your favourite cleaner before finishing.

Peter.

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
With such a nice hardwood, you can just polish it with care, and apply a light coat of BLO without CA. This is the only finish that will improve with time. And you will touch the wood, not a petroleum residue.
Have you ever notice the wonderful finish of a one century old tool handle?
Just wanted to give you a third solution, and more hard time to choose the one that please you! :whistling:

peterpiper

Apprentice Member
First Name
peter
Thanks folks, I thought I'd get conflicting answers, after all it's a personal thing, but seeing as I want a high gloss finish without darkening the wood,
going to stick with C.A. only, wish me luck. piccie to follow (if it's a success).:praying:
pete

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Hi Guys

This may sound daft but if you don't ask you don't know what is BLO

Boiled Linseed Oil

I sometimes use it with my CA finishes - some believe it helps the CA go on more easily, it definitely darkens the wood. There are theories that the CA helps the BLO cure, the BLO helps the CA cure, and the heat from the friction of applying the finish helps everything cure! :wink:

When I use it, generally I put some on the tissue, then a few drops of CA. Swipe it over the blank, then repeat (and repeat, and repeat etc)

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
CA only for me, done BLO but only to darken the wood.

Thanks folks, I thought I'd get conflicting answers, after all it's a personal thing, but seeing as I want a high gloss finish without darkening the wood,
going to stick with C.A. only, wish me luck. piccie to follow (if it's a success).:praying:
pete

Then it's CA finish, but I like Pierre--- response..:thumbs:

As for pictures "if it's a success" we expect them if it's not you do realise that don't you?:face:

peterpiper

Apprentice Member
First Name
peter
I too like Pierre's response, anything but a pen and I might have been tempted.
Started of with the sanding sealer this p.m. forgotten how many coats I've applied, leaving to harden till tomorrow, not rushing at all,
making some delrin cones for the c.a. coats, hope it's worth it!
CUL8R
pete

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Out of what's been suggested so far I also like Pierre's answer.
Just to throw a curve ball into the mix, I'm moving away from CA and starting to use the same finish as Walter advocates ...... Acrylic Lacquer

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).