• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Blue Paper Towels

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hello pen friends!

I need to restock on blue paper towels for the workshop and I wonder if you knowledgable lot have advice for a good quality all-purpose version that can also be used for applying a CA finish.

The reason I ask is that I find the quality of this stuff varies so much from one batch to the next and I tend to buy 6-packs. The last lot I bought from a well known on line shop were awful. I even considered spilling stuff deliberately just to get rid of it quicker 😂.

Anyway any advice of brands or suppliers would be much appreciated. I used to really like the screw fix stuff but they’ve changed it recently and it’s not as good in my opinion.

Cheers
Ash

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I have the same problem. The ones I used to order at work were very good. Sadly most I’ve tried aren’t anywhere near as good. The problem is though you can’t tell until you get home and remove the plastic wrapping.
As I remember the best ones were the wide rolls we used at the Garage when I was a mechanic.

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
I gave up on the Paper Towels, due to issues exactly as Mark Described, also they never seem to be of a decent quality.
One of my clients is a well know Hotel Linen Supplier, they deliver, collect, wash etc everything from bed sheets to Tea Towels.

After talking to the "Boss" I can buy large Bags of Used (Though washed and dried) Tea Towels, these are exceptional quality (Think Bar Tea Towels) and in a bag I get 200+, they might have a slight rip or stain (Cooking) and they can not send them back out so they go into a Rag Container.

Each Bag costs me £5 :thumbs:

I use them for all sorts, from painting rags, to staining to cleaning up, they really are excellent quality.

Have a look around your area for a supplier, £5 for 200+ Tea Towels is a better price than any Blue Paper Towel :bwink:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
A good mate who looks after my van gets me a six pack of blue paper tower from his motor factor suppliers, I can’t help with a brand but it’s cheaper than chips & I’m well happy with it.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Used to be able to get decent blue towel from Screwfix, i think Kirkland or something was the brand name. But they stopped selling them and the ones they changed to are rubbish 2 ply.

For CA I get decent white paper towel, and keep that just for CA

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Thank you all for your replies, it seems I’m not alone!

@Bammer I agree the new Screwfix towels are no longer the same quality, and they were my favourites.

@Doug that's a good shout - I may see if I can get some from the automotive side as I can imagine they’d have to be fairly decent quality.

Failing that then it’ll be a mash-up of white paper rolls for ca, blue paper rolls for general cleaning and cloths fur buffing, which is pretty much where I am now.

Morse

Graduate Member
First Name
Dave
Used to be able to get decent blue towel from Screwfix, i think Kirkland or something was the brand name. But they stopped selling them and the ones they changed to are rubbish 2 ply.

For CA I get decent white paper towel, and keep that just for CA
Isn’t Kirkland a Costco brand?
They do both blue and white rolls.
Never tried them for quality though.
Always thought the single ply white rolls were the norm in applying finishes due to lack of absorbency and hence waste?

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Isn’t Kirkland a Costco brand?
They do both blue and white rolls.
Never tried them for quality though.
Always thought the single ply white rolls were the norm in applying finishes due to lack of absorbency and hence waste?
Yeah I think it is, last time i went i got the white and blue from them.

The white is a huge sheet, haven't tried it on ca

Haven't opened the blue yet ... i'll do that today

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I gave up using blue towels due to the blue leaching out but also the inconsistent perforations. I use the white Z fold towels, no colour leach, already cut to the right size and good quality. Available from any good janitorial supplies outlet.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
A centre feed dispenser on the workshop wall and white rolls in bulk from Parrs. That's been my solution for many years, but Parrs have stopped supplying the rolls, so I too will need to hunt down a suitable replacement.