• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bock nib issue could they be Counterfeit ?

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Hi all

Not having a good start with my journey into bespoke pen making

I bough some #6 Bock nibs from UK Pen Blanks mainly because they were selling them at less than half the price Beaufort Ink where asking at only £4.99 each. I also bought some #6 sections from them as well. But when they arrived I realized the Section was too slim for the bodies I was going to make, so ordered some sleeves from Beaufort to insert them into the sections I am going to make to save to cost of having to buy a set of Bock taps to fit their nibs.

The sleeves arrived this morning and the first thing I noticed was the UK Pen Blanls supplied #6 nibs did not easily fit into the sections, they where a really tight fit, but with some fettling I eventually managed to get them to fit. It was at this point I then found the second problem. I have quite a large selection of International Converters which I have used for years and a mix from many different suppliers but not one of them would fit the nipple on the Bock nib. I have got a couple of Bock nibs supplied by Beaufort and my converters fit those fine.

When I measured the nipple I found on the Beaufort supplied nibs it was 2.52mm but on the UK Blanks supplied nibs they where 2.32mm so the converters will not fit tight and leak at the join.

This is UK Pen Blanks Listing

Anyone know what is going on here, are they selling Counterfeit Bock nibs or have bock changed their dimensions recently and used to supply them not fitting the international standard converter and cartridges, like waterman used to and Parker and Lamy still do.

I have contacted UK Pen Blanks for a Comment and will update when I hear back from them, if I hear back.

Thanks

Paul

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I buy my Bock nibs and sections from Beufort ink I buy there ink convertors because they just work.
My advice would be dont try to buy in cheap go for trusted suppliers. Dont waste your money on cheap alternatives.

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
I would have thought that a Company like Mabie Todd who own UK Pen Blanks would have been a trusted seller given their pen making history but lesson learned, I have just placed a replacement order with Beaufortink.