• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bock nibs thread cutting, anyone having issues

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Hi all

I
A quick question I hope.

Whilst I prepare to turn my first kit less pen I have been watching just about every video on the subject on the university of YouTube and noticed that a few seem to be having issues cutting the section threads to take Bock nibs

An example can be seen in this video

Anyone on here have a similar issue or do you find the nib just screws in without issue.

I will be buying my taps from beaufortink.co.uk, anyone had any issues with their Bock size taps.

Also talking of taps, do you use all three when taping wood, acrylic or ebonite or do you get away with just one, for example just use a plug.

Thanks for any help with this.

Paul

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I have had no issues with Beufort taps and dies. If using Bock nibs you just need to use the correct size tap.

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
The threads on the nib housings are typically very fine, and the tap is tapered meaning you have to wind it in a good 3-4 mm past the end before you get to the fully formed threads. Thats when the threading begins properly The problem the guy in the video is having is because he simply isn't winding the tap in far enough. To your point I suspect he's using an intermediate (plug) tap, (its what I use), but if he had a bottoming tap too he could go in less with the first and follow up with the bottoming tap.

Beaufort Ink are the UK supplier for Bock nibs and the taps are excellent so you'll have no issue.

Cheers
Ash

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Thanks Dave and Ash

Ash, So you recomend I go with intermediate and bottoming

Just wish Bock didn't go with such weird sizes, why use a 7.9mm tap that costs their customers Ā£30 each when a 8mm tap costs less than a fiver. Not done I suspect for production reasons. šŸ˜‰