• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bolt action Bullet pen in pink plastic

Old Corky

Thanks lads means a lot to me at the moment, I am a bit miserable and tired, getting old and the heart has been overworked.
I will put some more detail about the homemade tools when I can find some more time, back to the slaughter tomorrow, I hate my job.
There are 200 hundred windmills laying around the shed at the moment waiting for the bees to go before I can spin em up.

Hello Brother Grump, could you post a picture of a finished windmill sometime. Sound interesting. I make very simple little wooden cars, trucks, planes and trains to go along with the pens. The little kids around 5 or 6 love them.

vehicles2.JPG

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I like the large flat tool Brian. Looks like a skew, only not skewed. It confirms my thinking that you don't need piddly little pen making tools or anything fancy to make pens. I do 99% of my work on pens with a one inch roughing gouge. I might see if I can find one of those next time I am ratching around second hand tool stalls.

I also like the De-Walt drills because the bullet tip helps centre the drill (like an engineers centre bit) but as you say any sharp drill bit is just fine.

I enjoy making my own tools too. Never thought of using old socket extensions though.

Walter

p.s. I knew I had seen those unskewed skews somewhere. Henry Taylor still make them in four sizes from 1/2" (13mm) to 1 1/4" (32mm)

ToolPost sell them (on their skew chisels page). No doubt other Henry Taylor suppliers do too.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
That is the whole point of my age old argument, it really don't' matter what angle you put on a tool within reason of course but the angle you hold it at to get the cut you require.
It ain't rocket science its about sharp and a tiny little edge on a whacking great lump of metal.
Somebody with tool control, a Master such as Woody could use a shovel to turn a bowl with given a sharp edge on it.

I reckon Woody could turn a bowl with a toothpick!!!!!!!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Cor like real family ear init?
Bruva Corky, Dad Woody OO else is ear?
Cricky take a gander ear I do all the round bits 4 im might give you sum ideas init?
Don't got a clue wot sort of idiot would wanna buy these but he keeps on selling em, made it is full time job and pays me to do my bit.
Who's the fool here I wonder.

Pastille Burners UK. About our burners. Piskey Led handmade wooden pastille burners made in our workshop in Hertfordshire, England. Aromatic, scented model incense burners.

They look nice pens in your pic, bit bulky 2 write wiv, where do your keep the nib just out of interest.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Cor like real family ear init?
Bruva Corky, Dad Woody OO else is ear?
Cricky take a gander ear I do all the round bits 4 im might give you sum ideas init?
Don't got a clue wot sort of idiot would wanna buy these but he keeps on selling em, made it is full time job and pays me to do my bit.
Who's the fool here I wonder.

Pastille Burners UK. About our burners. Piskey Led handmade wooden pastille burners made in our workshop in Hertfordshire, England. Aromatic, scented model incense burners.

They look nice pens in your pic, bit bulky 2 write wiv, where do your keep the nib just out of interest.

Ooooo er ! them's nice ...if Mrs Ed gets a look at them they'll be all over the bloody house

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Good to have you on board, Brian! Not just educational but keeping us in stitches at the same time! Thanks for that lot, plenty to try out myself in there.

Bluefoxy

Just to prove you are still the master of innovation and ingenuity. In fact I would go so far as to say your skills are exceeded only by your personal charm, beauty and sartorial elegance :wink:

Ray

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Bloody Nora Ray were did that come from innovation and ingenuity yes but personal charm, beauty, Brian come on now :funny::funny::funny::funny:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I like the large flat tool Brian. Looks like a skew, only not skewed. It confirms my thinking that you don't need piddly little pen making tools or anything fancy to make pens. I do 99% of my work on pens with a one inch roughing gouge. I might see if I can find one of those next time I am ratching around second hand tool stalls.

I also like the De-Walt drills because the bullet tip helps centre the drill (like an engineers centre bit) but as you say any sharp drill bit is just fine.

I enjoy making my own tools too. Never thought of using old socket extensions though.

Walter

p.s. I knew I had seen those unskewed skews somewhere. Henry Taylor still make them in four sizes from 1/2" (13mm) to 1 1/4" (32mm)

ToolPost sell them (on their skew chisels page). No doubt other Henry Taylor suppliers do too.

I don't know why I have only just seen this thread I thought I had read the site inside out.
I can honestly say I have seen Brian pick up this tool as his first choice and use it for the smallest job, just like a carpenter uses a plane ringlets flow from the tool.
I have one of his socket set tools too, takes a touch of getting used to but wow that cuts through steel with little effort.
I am lucky he gave me one.
See his tutorial here to make yourself one.
One Good Turn Deserves Another

Jim

Grand Master
George thanks for sharing that link, Brian must be embarrassed showing off his skills. :whistling:

They are some great looking working tools, and i also love the shape of the handle he made ... :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
George thanks for sharing that link, Brian must be embarrassed showing off his skills. :whistling:

They are some great looking working tools, and i also love the shape of the handle he made ... :thumbs:

You flatter me kind sir and thank you George now go home init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).