• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Brian's Homemade Carbide Tools

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Don't you think there is two issues here guys and gals...

Grump gave them to Jim to do as he wished, as Jim has always wanted to get a consensus from the forum of what to do with them...

Some want to raise money for the forum by bidding on the tools but not really interested in having them and some want to just donate for the benefits of the forum, have I got that right?..

Well there must be a simple answer to it..

Why don't we put them on a thread for one month and have a £1 donation for every post put in to that thread.. Have you got the idea?

In the thread the person posting will need to say if they are interested in the tools or not.

If they are then their name will be put in to a draw and the names picked out at random..

That way there is a chance for everyone to donate to the forum and the members that want a genuine chance of the tools then have a good chance to get them no matter how much they have posted on the thread..

I'm sure that payments could be done via pay pal to Jim as a donation and if you don't have a pay pal account then I'm sure there are other ways to get payments to Jim..

What do you think?

Tell me to shut up if you want too.... :face:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Sounds like a brilliant idea to me, Funds get raised and the tools go to someone who wants them init?
I would donate a pound quite happily on more than one occasion but don't want my own tools back be Like peeing against the wind init?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I agree Brian, it still gives you a chance to donate to the forum of you felt that you wanted too, even through you had donated the tools in the first place.

Most importantly, everyone gets a chance that wants them and also other members are not penalised if they want too give but don't want the tools..

Just thinking and looking around for a few rules tho..

I believe one thing we can't have is members asking other members questions and expecting them to reply and donate another £1 otherwise it could get out of hand, init...... :wink:

And we wouldn't expect the administrator to donate on any threads as it wouldn't work..... (Could cost Jim an arm and a leg..:sob:)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Sounds like a brilliant idea to me, Funds get raised and the tools go to someone who wants them init?
I would donate a pound quite happily on more than one occasion but don't want my own tools back be Like peeing against the wind init?

Over here Brian we called that an American shower from World War 2 times originated by American Servicemen on the battlefield as a joke.
\
Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Good fortune on the donated tools having fun in the middle is what the forum does to overformalise wont work cause forumites are by nature nonconformist. I will be interested how it ends up.

In donating success is guaranteed when the giver indicates which way it should be used but I have observed Jim already would have done this and likes to suck it and see.

Brian your gesture is touching the product worthy.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Now hang on a minute here Mr Brian you say your tool is not of a good quality I have to disagree with you the tools are every bit as good as the ones I made its the tips that are not as good which can be replaced to make a perfectly good tool the only bit that may need to be modified is the screw hole which as you know is easily done the tip I use you can get on ebay for just a few quid

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Don't you think there is two issues here guys and gals...

Grump gave them to Jim to do as he wished, as Jim has always wanted to get a consensus from the forum of what to do with them...

Some want to raise money for the forum by bidding on the tools but not really interested in having them and some want to just donate for the benefits of the forum, have I got that right?..

Well there must be a simple answer to it..

Why don't we put them on a thread for one month and have a £1 donation for every post put in to that thread.. Have you got the idea?

In the thread the person posting will need to say if they are interested in the tools or not.

If they are then their name will be put in to a draw and the names picked out at random..

That way there is a chance for everyone to donate to the forum and the members that want a genuine chance of the tools then have a good chance to get them no matter how much they have posted on the thread..

I'm sure that payments could be done via pay pal to Jim as a donation and if you don't have a pay pal account then I'm sure there are other ways to get payments to Jim..

What do you think?

Tell me to shut up if you want too.... :face:

Geez, just cus I'm gobby, it would cost me a fortune... Ok I'm in.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Now hang on a minute here Mr Brian you say your tool is not of a good quality I have to disagree with you the tools are every bit as good as the ones I made its the tips that are not as good which can be replaced to make a perfectly good tool the only bit that may need to be modified is the screw hole which as you know is easily done the tip I use you can get on ebay for just a few quid

The square tips are the same as yours dad, its the round ones that are thin, and yes a longer M5 screw with a new tip would be great on em init?

Jim

Grand Master

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions that has been added to the thread, l can also vouch for the quality of the tools, maybe the round cutters are on the thin side, but these can be easily changed .. The tools will do exactly as asked .. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Not given up on this folks, i am still looking for a mod to allow us to run some kind of auction etc etc .. :thumbs:

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi All

As much as this pains me to suggest, we could e-bay the tools and put the money to a good cause, as far as helping Jim is concerned, every one seems to agree that it;s a good idea to help him out, we could offer a £10 sub or whatever, it works for my woodturning club.

Regards

Kevin

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I think you will find that Brian originally donated them for the moneys to go towards the running cost of the forum

mattyts

Registered
Not given up on this folks, i am still looking for a mod to allow us to run some kind of auction etc etc .. :thumbs:

Can't we do it without a mod or a plug in? Just have a thread where only you can post and have people PM you with their bids and you updating the thread when the bid is topped?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That sounds like a good idea Matty. I also like the idea of paying a sub to Jim but we have to be careful to ensure that the forum is open to all.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A paypal donate link could be added to a thread for those who wish to help with running costs.
As for the tools Jim give them away or bin em.

mattyts

Registered
That sounds like a good idea Matty. I also like the idea of paying a sub to Jim but we have to be careful to ensure that the forum is open to all.

Yeah,I think that would be good too,most,if not all forums I'm a member of with the exception of this one have a VIP member scheme,usually £5-£10 per year,allows members to have their threads stickied,bigger inbox quotas ETC,I for one would like it on this forum and it would help Jim out too :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).