• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Budget lathe sanding jig.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Thanks Terry, I think I'm getting it, probably just one of those things that if I saw in the flesh would make sense straight away.

I need a trip to a sorby stockist I think.

Besides any excuse is a good one right ! :whistling:

Remember Phill the scraper platform is flat and as all parts of a lathe are built parallel or at 90 deg to one another then the platform falls at 90 deg to the mdf disc!!!

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
Screwfix sell a belt cleaner for £6.99 item number 16277, I have been using one for years and it still has years of life left in it.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Remember Phill the scraper platform is flat and as all parts of a lathe are built parallel or at 90 deg to one another then the platform falls at 90 deg to the mdf disc!!!

That's the bit I'm struggling with, on my SIP the toolpost can be angled away from 90 deg (as on others IIRC), so that's what is making me puzzle how it would work for me. I don't think I have that guarantee of 90 degs.

I'll go have a look at a Sorby stockist if I can and then see what I can do.

Thanks for your persistence :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
That's the bit I'm struggling with, on my SIP the toolpost can be angled away from 90 deg (as on others IIRC), so that's what is making me puzzle how it would work for me. I don't think I have that guarantee of 90 degs.

I'll go have a look at a Sorby stockist if I can and then see what I can do.

Thanks for your persistence :bwink:

You are talking at cros purposes or misreading each other I fancy.
Phil do you mean 90 degress flush to face of sandpaper / faceplate? (ref my last quote) Or 90 degress flush to lathebed (foolow Terry's).
Ami wrong? I often am but it's the only way I see any cnfusion by Phill laterelly thinking.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks Terry, I think I'm getting it, probably just one of those things that if I saw in the flesh would make sense straight away.

This is exactly like I am Phill, the more i see, the easier it becomes .... :ciggrin:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
You are talking at cros purposes or misreading each other I fancy.
Phil do you mean 90 degress flush to face of sandpaper / faceplate? (ref my last quote) Or 90 degress flush to lathebed (foolow Terry's).
Ami wrong? I often am but it's the only way I see any cnfusion by Phill laterelly thinking.

You may well be right George.

I'm struggling with how the Sorby plate guarantees you will be at 90 deg to the sanding disc.

If I'm right the Sorby plate fits in the tool post ?

If that's the case then I can move my tool post to any angle I like (within reason) so how am I going to be sure I'm 90 deg to the sanding disc ?

Am I over thinking it ?

If I'm being dense here just tell me, I'm from Yorkshire and have a thick hide :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Ok Phil what you call the toolpost is a banjo, It is already 90 degrees to the lathe bed you cannot change that angle.
The angle you can change is the top swivel angle, assume you are looking down on the lathe from above you have your stem standing up at 90 degrees to the lathe bed the top is facing you with its own little bed flat.
Imagine that bed square, turn it so one of the faces is toward the sandpaper, hold a thick piece of paper against the sandpaper, now push the bed up to the sandpaper and tighten the clamp on the banjo pul the thick paper out and you have faced up square to the sandpaper. Check if you like it will be 90 degrees.
Here's a couple of usefull links to give you the idea of how you are going to sand against Terry's jig.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sanding%20disc%20squaring&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.penmakersguild.com%2Farticles%2Fblanksquarejig.pdf&ei=y08FUsvCJoaChQeoooHADg&usg=AFQjCNFhYcNSwjEbVdKAI4QpVSYA_qekVw&bvm=bv.50500085,d.ZWU&cad=rja
Using lathe to sand square blank ends - International Association of Penturners
Wood lathe disk sander - YouTube

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Maybe that's what I'm not seeing.

I like the overall idea and I'm sure it works fine, just need to get my head round it before I order more STUFF ! :funny:

Phill I will photograph a close up later on today to see if that helps you. Also you say you live in Yorkshire well you can always look at my set up as I live in Hull!!!

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Here are some photos of my setup. I apologise if it's teaching someone to suck eggs but I am just trying to help with any misunderstandings!!!

No1 is the tool post with the thread on the top.
No2 is the box scraper platform.
No3 is the two screwed together.
No4 is the mdf with the faceplate screwed to it. The sandpaper is on the other side.
No5 is the faceplate screwed to the headstock drive.

Attachments

• 002 (281x375).jpg
    002 (281x375).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 003 (281x375).jpg
    003 (281x375).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 004 (375x281) (370x277).jpg
    004 (375x281) (370x277).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 005 (375x281).jpg
    005 (375x281).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 29
  • 006 (281x375).jpg
    006 (281x375).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 29

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Part 2. of the sanding jig.

No5 is the tool rest up close to the disc by moving the banjo close to the disc.
No6 is a blank held in position.

I hope this removes any misconceptions!!!:thinks::thinks::thinks:

Attachments

• 008 (281x375).jpg
    008 (281x375).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 007 (281x375).jpg
    007 (281x375).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 30

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Terry put a set square on the tool rest up against the disk that will show it is 90 deg

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that Terry, some times it is better to see it in images, it speaks volumes ... :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Terry to get more life out of the sanding sheet ..when it gets clogged with wood dust take a thick plastic bag rolled up really tight like a block and run it across the sander and you will get more use out of it Frankie.

The soul of an old crepe shoe is great for cleaning up sanding belts and disk and they last for years just hope the feet that lived in them had a nice aroma LOL :banana::banana:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Terry hope you don't mind me posting a few pictures to explain how my jig works It might also explain my previous ramblings about squaring up.
I explained the predicament to a friend who I got the idea from in the first place, his jig is even more heath Robinson than mine. (In fact mine is custom made compared to his).
Anyway he took some pictures f his and emailed them too me so I could demonstrate.
First picture shows channel and a bolt slotted in banjo at an obvious 90 degree. even an ill fitting bolt as this.
1.JPG
Next picture shows what I mean when I say thick paper against sandpaper he used another piece of channel. push the channel up firmly and clamp down.
2.JPG
Take paper (channel) away to find is is squared up at 90 degrees all round.
3.JPG
Is this want you couldn't get your head around Phil?
4.JPG
Simply put your blank in and sand away to hearts content, in the knowledge that is is perfectly squared.
5.JPG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).