• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bullet pen kits

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi all,
Things seem to go in spats with me, I am currently making a few bullet case pen kits for another Turner, he just has to turn the upper barrel. These are 7.62 cases with new bullet heads and a slimline kit

Attachments

• 20231202_090042.jpg
    20231202_090042.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
nicely done m8 haven't made any bullet pens in a long while right out of cases now

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Nicely done Mark.👍
I’ve made a few different Calibre pens but not the 7.62. I’ve fired a fair few as this was NATO ammonia.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
very nice Mark

So is the mechanism built into a 7mm tube and then into the cartridge or just direct into the cartridge and how do you judge the depth if so ?
There is a 'how to' in the file's pages by Les Elm which will help but I have adapted and modified over time...
I drill out a real bullet to take a cross refill after removing its lead and fit it into a case with a bullet reloading press. Then I drill the back of the case out with a 1/4" drill bit, I use the lathe and a collet chuck for this. Once I have a batch done and checked the swarf is out I put a flat bolt in my chuck and use it as a press to push the mech in. As I have done loads I know how far to insert the mech, if not its a little trial and error.
You can do this another way ......
Drill the cartridge with a 7mm hole, wrap one end of a std slimline tube with a little masking tape and glue this into the cartridges mouth. I don't glue the base! and then you can just use a std slimline nib in the front and push fit the mech the other end....
This works for .308.....303s are a little longer as are 30 06s, I hope this helps

Attachments

• 20170516_174008.jpg
    20170516_174008.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8