• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bullet pens

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I know some of you Guys are into making bullet pens. The .308 case is a popular one the only issue is the .308 case neck is 7.82mm so you need to use a .308 bullet adapted to take a ballpoint refill or find a way to fit a 7mm tube so you can fit a slim line nib section.
This got me thinking as a long term cartridge reloader I mess about with case neck diameters all the time. I mess about with altering cartridge cases for wild cats etc.
If I sat down and thought about it I am sure I could modify a .308 case to accept any nib section that comes with a kit with a 7mm tube.
So over this week I am going to sit down and see if I can modify a case to accept any 7mm nib section.
If I can get my head around this one there is no reason why I could not do it for other calibers.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Yep it works it is fairly simple to reduce a .308 case neck to 7mm internal diameter.
The down side is once you seat the slim line nib section the base of the section is wider than the neck so you have a overhang that does not look good.
Oh well it was worth a try.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Yep it works it is fairly simple to reduce a .308 case neck to 7mm internal diameter.
The down side is once you seat the slim line nib section the base of the section is wider than the neck so you have a overhang that does not look good.
Oh well it was worth a try.
I did think that this morning, but thought it might be worth having a look...Well done for trying👍🏻👍🏻

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I havent completely given up on the idea there are other sizes of cases. Its probably easier to go up in size rather than go down.
I am still playing with stuff. The problem is to make it cost efective for example if you just use a nib section from a ÂŁ7.00 pen kit the kit is no use with out the nib section so you have a ÂŁ7.00 over head before you even start to make a pen
Could turn out to be a very expensive pen.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).