• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

CA glue

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
For a beginner you turn a mighty good pen!!! Not so sure about the clip lol.
Why thank you kind sir.
I only show the good ones, the other attempts either get stripped down for another day or given away quickly so I don't have to look at them.
This was the easiest one I have done yet, all in one piece, same diameter at each end and turned between centers, simples.

Jim

Grand Master
You have definitely got the shine here George, looks like you have mastered the CA polish ... :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
You have definitely got the shine here George, looks like you have mastered the CA polish ...
Cheers Jim.
I knew there would be a trick to it, other than plenty of coats lots of elbow grease and patience.
The video helped immensely Thanks to Timberbits for that, fresh ca and the accelerator is the other key to my satisfaction.
Next step is to move on to some exotic woods instead of old pallets and furniture from skips.
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Did you use the micro mesh to sand off the CA George??? :thinks:

No mate I don't have any yet, I was going to order some from eBay but saw your post n it falling to bits and decided against that idea.
Still using Ajax and toothpaste.

Jim

Grand Master
No mate I don't have any yet, I was going to order some from eBay but saw your post n it falling to bits and decided against that idea.
Still using Ajax and toothpaste.

Now you mention that, another one of the pads came off today, i am 100% certain that these are rip off's... :vangry:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Sorry people but many and various attempts at trying to photograph a shine have totally eluded me.
I have tried on black background but went back to white in the end.
Anyway here are the best attempts I have had and due to the great success of the bling pen idid earlier I have added some to this one for your amusement.

View attachment 355

View attachment 356

great looking pen George, don't mind the clip at all, the upright photo reminds me of the 17th/21st

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
great looking pen George, don't mind the clip at all, the upright photo reminds me of the 17th/21st
SSSHHH Don't say anymore or I will have to kill you.:nonono::nonono::nonono:

wm460

Grand Master
First Name
Mark
Now you mention that, another one of the pads came off today, i am 100% certain that these are rip off's... :vangry:

Just a thought do you leave your MM pads in the water when you finish?
I bought packs from Seppo land from some bloke by the name of Goss, the first pack I left in the water and they peeled, the second set I took out and let dry the lasted ages.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I did wonder when you said about wearing a glove, whether it was a wise thing.
I am glad i found out how silly that idea is before trying it myself.

wm460

Grand Master
First Name
Mark
What happened was a couple of the resin chips in the blank came loose so I gave it a couple coats of CA, when the bloody CA dried a lot quicker than normal. The glove didn't tear or break it just stretched and wrapped around the blank cracking the blank, bending the mandrel almost stalling the 2hp motor :vangry::vangry:

Do you know how hard it is to get them gloves of a blank? :down:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Just to be different I don't run the lathe when applying CA. I turn the spindle slowly with one hand and apply the CA on a piece of plumbers blue roll and without BLO (which incidentally I think should be reserved for cricket bats) with the other. I use medium CA, let it go off without any accelerator, only apply about three coats then smooth out any ridges with 1500 or 1800 micromesh and polish with burnishing cream (could try toothpaste I suppose).

There are as many ways of doing this as there are people doing it, but this one works for me.

Oh! and gloves with moving machinery: :eeeeek:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Walter.
A breath of fresh air and some good sense there I agree 100% with everything you say above and will try your method on my very next ca attempt.
i have just acquired a roll of blue utility paper from work so now have it in stock.
I am getting quite some kit together got to watch I don't outdo my welcome at my friends house, they are dropping hints at putting my name on the council housing list.
I might even get a place while I am still living if I am lucky. Now where is the sunniest place in the country to apply?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).