• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Can anyone help identify these pieces of timber please?

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Hi all,

I've been given a few pieces of timber, and require help identifying some of them - if anyone can :thumbs:

This first piece is very "orange" and extremely dense. Planes a treat though!

IMG_2004.jpg
IMG_2005.jpg

The second piece is a proper reddish brown, planes nicely and is less dense. Lovely colouring as you can see in the end view:drool:
IMG_2006.jpg
IMG_2007.jpg

The last piece is similar to the second but darker chocolatey brown. Its about 340mm square and 38mm thick. It has am "interesting" feature in the knot. wondering what I might do with it - perhaps a small table?:thinks:
IMG_2010.jpg
IMG_2011.jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
They definitely all wood.

I agree the second looks like walnut

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Graham the first one looks like Merbau from here.

Peter.

Thanks Peter, I think you're right :thumbs: Never heard of this before, and looked it up. On close inspection there are a number of small yellow deposits in the grain as described in the Wood Database.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
First piece is neither merbau or teak - it's iroko.
Second piece is ash. The red herring is the brown heartwood which is unusually brown for ash.
Third piece is walnut

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).