• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
I have been given some pen blanks, can anyone identify the wood, I'm no good at this.

Glen:sob::sob:

Attachments

• 004 (640x175).jpg
    004 (640x175).jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 84

Midnight_Turner

Registered
First Name
Miles
First thoughts I would have said cherry, but I think common sense must prevail here peeps!!! It's a piece off a chair, and you don't see chairs made out of cherry. Also looking at that stripe pattern, it's definitely pine with some sort of staining I reckon. Might be nice to see it cut open to prove the theory ... place your bets please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hmmm. I see your point Miles, but what makes you think it's part of a chair? I agree that the stripey bits look a lot like pine but they do also look a lot like cherry. Also furniture made from stained pine tends to be stained after assembly, in which case I would expect to see naked tenons, not stained. There is a third possibility which is that the colour of the photo is not true.

I think you are right about seeing inside though. The only way we will know is to see some end grain. Put the end on your sander Glen, or cut a sliver off with a saw, and see what you get.

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
First thoughts I would have said cherry, but I think common sense must prevail here peeps!!! It's a piece off a chair, and you don't see chairs made out of cherry. Also looking at that stripe pattern, it's definitely pine with some sort of staining I reckon. Might be nice to see it cut open to prove the theory ... place your bets please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not too sure that I agree, my entire dining room suite (table + 8 chairs) is made out of solid merisier which is a cherry Prunus avium | wild cherry/RHS Gardening and the colour and figure are virtually identical
IMG_0047.jpg
you can see it here in the background to box. Cherry is quite frequently use in furniture making and I believe that there are at least 28 varieties of cherry so it would be difficult to exclude it as being that.

PG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).