• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cascaphen glue anyone tried it?

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I recall my unclad , a woodworking sage, singing the praises of Cascaphen but saying it left black lines at the glue joint. I’ve uses Cascamite before and like it for the long open time. Anyone used Cascaphen for blank making? Opinions please?

Tried polyurethane and slow set epoxy ( current favourite ) for celtic knots but the idea of a black glue line appeals to me.

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
I recall my unclad , a woodworking sage, singing the praises of Cascaphen but saying it left black lines at the glue joint. I’ve uses Cascamite before and like it for the long open time. Anyone used Cascaphen for blank making? Opinions please?

Tried polyurethane and slow set epoxy ( current favourite ) for celtic knots but the idea of a black glue line appeals to me.
We use both glues in the yachting industry and my preference is Cascamite. Used vast amounts of the stuff for veneer facing 8x4 plywood and edging strips. Can be set in seconds using heat or hot iron.

CraftyNick

First Name
Nick
I should point out that we use Cascamite for interior joinery and not where the wood is immersed in water or even exterior projects. Cascaphen is the way to go if you’re using your pen under water!! 😀

Crafted by ALM

Apprentice Member
First Name
Aidan
I saw black CA at the weekend.... Don't know if it dries black🤔🤔
It sort of dries black - its normal CA with pigment in it so can look a bit like grey water, especially if its cold and you don't give it a good shake first! From my experience its not 'all out black' like a black paint would be - user error is always a possibility though!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).