• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Casting labels in Clear blanks

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I just though on the same lines as you rowdy paint the tubes white engrave there names on the tube so they would be gold than clear acrylic dont know if it would work as it has never interested me making plastic blanks just a thought

Jim

Grand Master
Looks good Rowdy, i would look at what is recommended by manufacturer which is usually acrylic spray it may save you much less work and more productive ... :bwink:

Wennthepen

Apprentice Member
Hi Rowdy, surprised you had bleed, I have used hairspray since time started and have never suffered that problem. I find Tesco firm hold is best! Put the tube on a suitable stick an turn it as you spray it. Use enough to cover but do not over spray. Allow to dry for say 5 minutes before using.
Have attached some others I have recently completed.

SierraFAA.jpg

Sierra_rum.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Now shows how to hide the seam at the back of the pen please.
I did some years ago with my acrylic tube but there is always a join I couldn't hide.
Any ideas gratefully accepted I will try to find some old pics of them and post seperatly.
Woody show em your pen I made for for you and Vi while I lok em out, at work at the mo so will have to wait till I get home.

Jim

Grand Master
Well that hairspray certainly works for you Mike, they are very nice pens indeed ... :thumbs:

Wennthepen

Apprentice Member
Thanks for that chaps. I hide the join by placing the clip over most of it and whilst sticking the label/printed design to the tube, just lightly run along the edge(very end of the paper) with a permanent marker of the same of very similar colour. Might help you.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
Hi Rowdy, surprised you had bleed, I have used hairspray since time started and have never suffered that problem. I find Tesco firm hold is best! Put the tube on a suitable stick an turn it as you spray it. Use enough to cover but do not over spray. Allow to dry for say 5 minutes before using.
Have attached some others I have recently completed.

View attachment 1862

View attachment 1861

Love the Pens, very similar to what effects I want.... :love_it:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi All,
Sorry about resurrecting an old post but I think it has what I want.
I printed a label to put around a Sierra tube, it has a couple of faults sizewise that I can correct.
However the main problem I have is that the graphics are very, very small.
When the clear cast is poured and the pen finished does the resin act like a magnifying glass ?
Sorry for all these stupid questions.

take care
Don W

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Hi All,
Sorry about resurrecting an old post but I think it has what I want.
I printed a label to put around a Sierra tube, it has a couple of faults sizewise that I can correct.
However the main problem I have is that the graphics are very, very small.
When the clear cast is poured and the pen finished does the resin act like a magnifying glass ?
Sorry for all these stupid questions.

take care
Don W

You will get a level of magnification Don yes. The level depends on how thick the finished blank is:thumbs:

daveygee

First Name
Dave
Hi All
Been lurking on here for a while and saw this thread and thought I may be able to put another angle on it that i have used. Hope you don't mind.

1. Print off from computer whatever logo etc. Make sure the tube has been sprayed black or whatever so that the tube does not show through and then coat the tube with the wife's very expensive clear nail lacquer :nonono::nonono::nonono:and roll the print out onto it taking care to smooth it out and then coat the paper with a coat of the wife's very expensive clear nail lacquer:nonono::nonono::nonono:. Leave it for 30 minutes and you are ready to go.
2. I do small transfer prints for personalised pens. Transfer design is printed off and a coat of the wife's very expensive clear nail lacquer:nonono::nonono::nonono: is applied. Leave for 30 minutes to dry off. Wood or acrylic turned and sanded, 2 coats of CA, wet and dry 1200, wipe off. Apply transfer (no squared corners on transfer and very wet) and line it up, pad it dry and leave for 30 minutes. I then put up to 15 coats of CA and get mirror finish.
Bye the way, she does not realise I have been using it. I put it back in the box after I use it.......
Hope this is of help.
Davey Gee

Jim

Grand Master
Hi All
Been lurking on here for a while and saw this thread and thought I may be able to put another angle on it that i have used. Hope you don't mind.

1. Print off from computer whatever logo etc. Make sure the tube has been sprayed black or whatever so that the tube does not show through and then coat the tube with the wife's very expensive clear nail lacquer :nonono::nonono::nonono:and roll the print out onto it taking care to smooth it out and then coat the paper with a coat of the wife's very expensive clear nail lacquer:nonono::nonono::nonono:. Leave it for 30 minutes and you are ready to go.
2. I do small transfer prints for personalised pens. Transfer design is printed off and a coat of the wife's very expensive clear nail lacquer:nonono::nonono::nonono: is applied. Leave for 30 minutes to dry off. Wood or acrylic turned and sanded, 2 coats of CA, wet and dry 1200, wipe off. Apply transfer (no squared corners on transfer and very wet) and line it up, pad it dry and leave for 30 minutes. I then put up to 15 coats of CA and get mirror finish.
Bye the way, she does not realise I have been using it. I put it back in the box after I use it.......
Hope this is of help.
Davey Gee

Welcome to the forums Davey, we certainly don't mind you sharing your knowledge my friend .. Would love to see some pens if you have any with the logo's added ...:thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Never tried the label printing at all, just one of those things that never really appealed.

But if I'd do, does anyone have a complete list of pixel size for each of the tubes, a bit like a bushing size list to save us all experimenting and wasting our time..

Or do I just waste my time playing with pixel sizes to get it right.... Just seems allot of wasted time if someone has already done it..:winking:

Just as I don't get enough time turning as it is without wasting any more... If you know what I mean....

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).