• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Casting Molds

Jim

Grand Master
They aired ok Frankie, but wasn't square, i have them but need to run them thru the bandsaw and square them up before i can drill them .. They are on my to do table ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Well the mould turned out ok, i removed the sides and slightly pulled on the rubber and it just came away from the corian, so i am pleased with the result. The line you can see inside the mould is the gap between the two pieces of corian slabs that i used ... Now i am going to try making a vertical one. :thinks:

silicone_rubber_pen_mould.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
Jim how much did it cost to make and how easy was it

Bellringer, i bought 1.1Kg which was £20.00 including VAT, then postage on top of this. It was quite easy to make once i slowed down with the stirring. Making the actual box was the hardest part, making sure the inner part was 6" square. If you fancy making one just drop me a PM if you need any questions answering, or you can post here. :thumbs:

Jim well done mat that looks excellent was that shore 28 or 30 silicone.Frankie.

Frankie, all i can tell you is this, it is called, Polycraft GP-3481-F General Purpose RTV Silicone Mould Making Rubber ...:nooidea:

Yorkie

I'll be coming over to England at the end of April. You can ship them to me and I will bring them over and we can figure it out from there.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
When will this be tested mate? Do you just pour the resin in or do you have to coat the inside of the mould? :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
You can pour it straight in Tony, but it is recommended to use some release agent for longer life. I don't have much resin left so not sure if i can try it out just yet? :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Alex, the material and procedure of making this mould was ok, if i was to do it again i wouldn't make it as big, i would go for a size capable of making to blanks ... :bwink:

mervyn cadman

Hi guys I may be able to help on this casting idea you don't need to spend all your pocket money on moulds for casting blanks I have made thousands of pen blanks and still to this day I cast blanks of all sizes.

1. Get some 20mm or 25mm aluminium tubes from eBay don't use plastic pipe the ali ones I find are much easier to work with.

2. You will need some wine corks (tapered ones)

3 for the 25mm blanks turn your own wooden plugs.

4. Honey wax is the release agent you will need.

5 the 20mm tubes cut to size will use about 100ml of PR

5. the catalyst is at a ratio of 1ml per 100ml it pays to drop the catalyst by 10% if not more if your casting larger blanks like I done for the woodturning magazine along with George Watkins who turned the form, the blank was 8" in diameter x 9" inch and weighed about 3 kilo the catalyst was dropped by 50% due to the volume of resin remember this stuff gets hot like hot kettle that’s cooled down for around ten minutes.

I remember two years ago I cast two blanks for a young artist 50mm x 1000mm yes guys a meter long - these were HOT! The gloves I used melted to the side of the moulds.

Remember the catalyst will work better if less is better - too much hardener and the blanks become brittle.

I hope some of this helps guys.
:thinks::thinks::thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for the info Mervyn, especially about the aluminium tubes and not the PVC ones ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Just had a quick look on ebay for the aluminium tubes
Aluminium Tube 7/8" / 22mm od x 495mm Long + 2 END CAPS
would the end caps be sufficient enough to seal the ends instead of the corks Mervyn ... :thinks:

mervyn cadman

Just had a quick look on ebay for the aluminium tubes would the end caps be sufficient enough to seal the ends instead of the corks Mervyn ... :thinks:

Jim don't worry about getting the end caps I turned my own plugs sort of tapered for the larger tubes, on the 22m od wine corks will work great I have used mine hundreds a times over the 500mm tubes is what I use cut them slightly over sized Jim to allow for the cork and trimming the blanks after the have cured.

This is a 25mm blank I made Jim within the 25mm ali tubes (my Guinness Effect) and the one at the bottom is my black and gold - the gold being Pearl-Ex powder.

Don't get the end caps Jim you won't need them -cheeper to buy wine corks or save them for the 25mm just turn your own plugs Jim

Merv

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).