• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cathedral pen

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
This is the first of my English oak pens made from the oak from Durham Cathedral kindly donated by Andrew Hall. The oak is at least 1000 years old.
The pen is finished in melamine & is finished ala Phil Dart who kindly gave me advice on using liquid melamine as against spray melamine. Thank you Phil.
image.jpeg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It looks nice, Bill:thumbs: but is a bit small.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Bill I do appreciate the second pic it enabled me to really appreciate your beaut pen. The importance of history coupled with very rich grain of the noble Oak, a winner.

Peter.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Great provenance Bill :thumbs:
Has the wood been carbon dated? If so it must be one of the original from the Anglo Saxon part of the Cathedral.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Yup you nailed that...i love the shape you get in your slims and with that nice oak....special....:drool::drool:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Great looking pen Bill. I bet that was hard on the tools.

I have some Oak from a local church from when they had to replace a beam due to woodworm managed to cut around and get a few blanks but not as prestigious as where your came from

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).