• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cheeky Question - Price

Old Corky

I almost forgot to mention in the last post regarding selling prices. I like to remember what an old pen maker once said, "We are not selling writing pens, we are selling art." Hey that's a good tag line, think I'll use it.

Old Corky
Pine Island, Texas

"We are not selling writing pens, we are selling art."

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I'm new to this pen turning thing ...but Neil, I think that the way you think is spot on.

Penfold

Sold my first slimline pen today for £15, the lady loved the pen and said "Are you sure thats enough?"
Just shows that people are willing to pay more, if they really like something. :pounds:

David

Old Corky

Hello Gav, here in Texas I usually round off the kit price to the next 5 dollars and add !0 dollars (about the U.S. minimum hour's pay:nooidea:) to the price, so I sell a slimline for 15 dollars (or 10.00 Pounds). I know that is a little low, but as Mattyts said above, "It's a hobby not a business." I would add however, like most things, they are worth what you can get for them.

Old Corky
Pine Island, Texas

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Guys,

I have been asked on this thread to make a comment about prices and what my experience suggests should be the "going" rate. Sorry to avoid the question but I'm going to avoid the question. The reason I'm not going to give a straight answer is that there are many factors that govern how you will achieve a price. Please note I did not say the "right" price, for there is no right price for this or anything else. If you were to strip away the name of a Mont Blanc, take it out of the fancy box, replace it with a generic but equally performing refill and try and charge the amount that it should fetch on the open market (being a Mont Blanc) (please note, I didn't say "what it is worth") you wouldn't have a hope.

If you were to have a display of six pens, two each of three different makes each with a little label around it minutely inscribed with the price, do you think you would achieve the same price if that pen were to be sold from a display of a single type of pen of which there were about fifteen or twenty different woods or materials. Lets be honest the first is akin to a car boot sale, and what do you pay for stuff at a car boot sale? Furthermore, what do you normally buy at a car boot sale? Crap.

Was at a craft fair last year and whilst we were setting up a bloke approached me, fuming, asking what the b****y h**l was I doing there. Turns out he was a pen turner, he thought he had booked the show as the sole pen turner. Shrugged my shoulders and told him that if his stuff was any good he do well and I wouldn't. Truth is, to a pen turner, his stuff was better than mine. His wife told me over the weekend that he only bought very individual blanks from a source in Italy or Taiwan or somewhere. He made about three pens a day, the care, apparently, that he took was fantastic. Well whoppee, it didn't do him much good, he had about thirty pens, all fountains in horrible mass produced fake rosewood boxes. He sold six pens all weekend, I cleared over 75 and I didn't make and sell any slimlines.

First mistake he made is that he didn't have the ability to sell horizontally - You don't use a fountain pen sir? then why not try this rollerball. Why do you prefer a rollerball, is it because ballpoints are normally a bic engraving experience (answer always yes), I would value your opinion then Sir on this Sierra Ball point pen. Which do you prefer Sir, the Rollerball or the Ball point - (How to close a sale with the option!!)

All my pens come in a branded cheap cardboard presentation box which will normally go in the bin, I'd already got them printed when Gary Rance told me a story to confirm what I had done - he said put a Pen (in my case) Pendant (in his) in a box and a pendant has become a gift. The rosewood boxes and the terrible offering of pouches, boxes and other recepticles for pens do not make them look like gifts, they are merely packaged in a characterless bit of tat. There's a difference between a gift box and a keepsake box, stuff in a keepsake box doesn't look like a gift, and people buy gifts.

I mentioned the stories about the wood, this weekend gone I sold an Executive ball point to an engineer in the Royal Navy, guess the wood? Lignum Vitae. The wood used to be used to make thrust bearings on ships because it was so hardwearing and self lubricating. I'll hopefully relate a story about Longbows and Yew trees, but I'm trying to broker a deal over quite a few trees so I'll keep that one close to my chest until its done, if it ever happens, but the value of the pen to these clients has become more than what it is worth, if you can ever define what worth is in this context.

I've just had a new acrylic pen stand manufactured which can be mounted into two bookends to form a display rack from which I will sell slimline stylus pens with special pen clips on, I'll have it completed tomorrow and hopefully it willl further illustrate my point. I'll posta photo of it.

So, to evade the question, I hope you understand why. You're not going to get £50 for a sierra, but you'll waste your time selling it for £12, and what you can get for it in between that is down to your confidence, your knowledge, your presentation, and your packaging and awareness of basic selling skills - apply the so what principle, if you can say "so what" to any statement you make about a pen in the sales process, you're about to fail, the more times you say "which means that" the more times you'll suceed. Sorry if this turned out to be a sles lecture, it wasn't meant to sound like that, but it does frustrate me that we all make excellent products that way exceed the quality of Parker and Mont Blanc and we are prepared to settle for little reward, even if you are not selling it as a business. If you don't want the extra cash, please advertise your pens at the cost you are prepared to sell them at as a hobby and put a price tag next to it which has inflated the cost by at least a fiver and put a £X on each purchase will be donated to Cancer Research. That way you will find that people are prepared to pay more because it is worth it to them, and you will find you're making some cracking stuff.

Going to bed now. Didn't mean to offend, but if I did tough, it's what I believe in.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi Gav,
Just to add my view - I started pen-making because I get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from woodworking, and from the finished product. That's the hobby side, for which the reward is the sheer joy of doing it. However, after the first year of turning out more professionally-finished pens my wife said, "Ere, I've just had a count of all the stuff you've made and there's about 200 pens laying about! We'll be in the bloody Poor House at this rate, you cretin!!!" I was astonished at this amount, partly because I had been giving many of them away to friends and relations, and because I still had so many kits waiting to be made, and literally hundreds of blanks I'd been buying from e-bay, etc. (See, this is what happens when you retire and have too much time on your hands!) Anyway, it was time to decide what to do - reduce the number of pens I make, or find an outlook for them. I approached several friends and asked them to be brutally truthful with me - were my pens good enough to sell? I got assurances from everyone that they were. After this I booked several craft fairs - and my pens took off like moon-shots!!! My first takings were, if I recall, £350, £375 and £400, with Slimlines going out at £15-18, Euros at £18-20, Jnr Gents at £20-25, and the prices were about £25 for single fountain pens. When selling matched sets I discounted the price to "give the customer something back", so to speak. EVERY pen was supplied in a nylon case or presentation box, depending on the style. Without sounding big-headed about it, people were gob-smacked at the beauty of my stuff. Neil, Woody, and anyone else who sell their pens will confirm that they, too, have had the same reactions. See, these folks were used to getting their Bic pens from WH Smith's and had never seen a pen not made from cheap see-through plastic. I laugh about it now but looking back to those first craft fairs, and seeing how I was nearly out of stock after the first two, I panicked and spent hours in the workshop making pens, LOL! The main reason for the panic was that the third one was just a week before Xmas, and going by the previous two, I was heading for a sell-out! How embarrassing to man a stall with only half-a-dozen pens!
So anyway, I cracked the problem of how to continue to make pens for enjoyment but be able to recoup the outlay by selling them. I think this answers your question, Gav? Ok, yeah, one other thing...I have tried selling pens at various times throughout the year but have had no success. For me it is the Oct, Nov and Dec periods - pens are ideally suited as presents for ANYONE because we all use 'em, and are in price ranges to suit most pockets. Another thing I've learnt - rarely do folks buy a decent pen for themselves - but will quite happily buy one for someone else. (Husbands and Wives are typical examples of this. Be prepared for both of them to admire your pens and then walk away, and then have one of them slip back on their own and quickly buy a pen for the other partner, and then minutes later, the OTHER partner does exactly the same thing. I swear this is true! I bet they both have a chuckle on Xmas Day!)
Anyway I hope this helps, and I wish you every success and much happiness from our wonderful hobby.
Regards, Bob.

Last edited:

Jim

Grand Master
Hi Gav,
Just to add my view - I started pen-making because I get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from woodworking, and from the finished product. That's the hobby side, for which the reward is the sheer joy of doing it. However, after the first year of turning out more professionally-finished pens my wife said, "Ere, I've just had a count of all the stuff you've made and there's about 200 pens laying about! We'll be in the bloody Poor House at this rate, you cretin!!!" I was astonished at this amount, partly because I had been giving many of them away to friends and relations, and because I still had so many kits waiting to be made, and literally hundreds of blanks I'd been buying from e-bay, etc. (See, this is what happens when you retire and have too much time on your hands!) Anyway, it was time to decide what to do - reduce the number of pens I make, or find an outlook for them. I approached several friends and asked them to be brutally truthful with me - were my pens good enough to sell? I got assurances from everyone that they were. After this I booked several craft fairs - and my pens took off like moon-shots!!! My first takings were, if I recall, £350, £375 and £400, with Slimlines going out at £15-18, Euros at £18-20, Jnr Gents at £20-25, and the prices were about £25 for single fountain pens. When selling matched sets I discounted the price to "give the customer something back", so to speak. EVERY pen was supplied in a nylon case or presentation box, depending on the style. Without sounding big-headed about it, people were gob-smacked at the beauty of my stuff. Neil, Woody, and anyone else who sell their pens will confirm that they, too, have had the same reactions. See, these folks were used to getting their Bic pens from WH Smith's and had never seen a pen not made from cheap see-through plastic. I laugh about it now but looking back to those first craft fairs, and seeing how I was nearly out of stock after the first two, I panicked and spent hours in the workshop making pens, LOL! The main reason for the panic was that the third one was just a week before Xmas, and going by the previous two, I was heading for a sell-out! How embarrassing to man a stall with only half-a-dozen pens!
So anyway, I cracked the problem of how to continue to make pens for enjoyment but be able to recoup the outlay by selling them. I think this answers your question, Gav? Ok, yeah, one other thing...I have tried selling pens at various times throughout the year but have had no success. For me it is the Oct, Nov and Dec periods - pens are ideally suited as presents for ANYONE because we all use 'em, and are in price ranges to suit most pockets. Another thing I've learnt - rarely do folks buy a decent pen for themselves - but will quite happily buy one for someone else. (Husbands and Wives are typical examples of this. Be prepared for both of them to admire your pens and then walk away, and then have one of them slip back on their own and quickly buy a pen for the other partner, and then minutes later, the OTHER partner does exactly the same thing. I swear this is true! I bet they both have a chuckle on Xmas Day!)
Anyway I hope this helps, and I wish you every success and much happiness from our wonderful hobby.
Regards, Bob.

Thanks for this Bob, i hope this can give inspiration to all the pen turners out there ... :bwink:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Just to add my point in..

I don't sell my pens....:goesred:

People buy them.... :tongue:

People have brought more commissioned pens from me over the last two years than I have ever done in the last 20..

But everyone has got a point, sell them cheap, to keep a hobby going and keeping you active as the years march on.

Or sell them at a profit, whatever you do is down to you and if you are happy with that then carry on..:ave_it:

Nough said, init..

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have about 500 pens to sell leading up to Christmas we have just sealed a deal and I'm opening a shop in a garden center that has a santa groto right next to us so plenty of slow moving trafic going right past us I will also have loads of other turned items bowls, platters, vases you get the picture our David will be doing children's activity's the garden center is between two very different areas one quite well of the other not so well of and to be honest I will be asking top dollar for every thing the reason I will have rent to pay besides all the other expenses of production this idea may be a solution for a lot of turners a lot of garden centers like to have craft stalls or wall space to sell for a few weeks

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have about 500 pens to sell leading up to Christmas we have just sealed a deal and I'm opening a shop in a garden center that has a santa groto right next to us so plenty of slow moving trafic going right past us I will also have loads of other turned items bowls, platters, vases you get the picture our David will be doing children's activity's the garden center is between two very different areas one quite well of the other not so well of and to be honest I will be asking top dollar for every thing the reason I will have rent to pay besides all the other expenses of production this idea may be a solution for a lot of turners a lot of garden centers like to have craft stalls or wall space to sell for a few weeks

Only 500 ?????? :devil::devil::devil:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Ere, Woody,
Please tell us how you are gonna manage a craft stall at this event if you're sitting in the Father Christmas grotto with your beard on?
Bob.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am always going to be confused on this forum because I have no real conception of house prices,rent,groceries or indeed timber and consumables however the prices you guys quote seem extraordinary to me either low or high depending so whenever you get into a hearty discussion involving money I sit back and think what the market will stand. Therefore when I see the down prices here in Australia its no wonder you rush the free freight low prices from Timberbits.

So it appears some of you are sellers who move about a lot you are the ones to take notice of.

Last night on our Aussie Forum a guy advertised a few items one a book 425 pages on blacksmithing quite old another bloke said new price was much less at another site locally. The original guy said thanks for bombing my ad and cant wait to bomb any of the blokes ads and ya de ya just sold the book for 10 dollars more.

Perhaps on a cheerful note very few or any prospective buyers of your pens read this forum or are expert in penmaking. Just as well because there is so often indecent IMHO haste to save a cent and make a big profit. I do buy more pen blanks I think than anyone on the forum and I pay the market price with some discount for quantity in the firm belief that we all deserve to make a living and any good deal is balanced between the buyer and seller.

Over here I ask and expect 30.00 dollars for a Slimline no discussion up or down. I agree money changing hands in family picture me SWMBO and 63 others having a robust discussion on pen sales or anything at all with money. For example on the front of our will there is an addendum a Monument of minimum 80.000 dollars for each of us to come from the estate and inserted in page 3 a short reference to this just kidding.

Fair pricing is good pricing once you try to justify it to another at selling time this cost that cost, materials, time etc arguments follow. I noticed recently when I bought my Mercedes SUV made in the USA in 1999 the original cost was 86.000 new here. The then owner and I quickly arrived at a figure I then paid him and took delivery, we are both very happy, then I found things I had missed scrubbed front inside tyre two new tyres needed etc so what you win some you lose some.

Neil I am very impressed by your considered answers and agree particularly with that list and discount for sales to family, indeed you are involved in sales I would be guided by your local England experience.

Enjoy your pen making respect buyers draw a line in the sand and have success is my best wish to everyone on this my 79th anniversary.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).