• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cheshire Game and Country Fair

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I hope it was only pens Neil was helping you with, not too hot on the bowls is our Neil :funny::funny:

Seriously, good to hear it was worth it neil, 72 pens eh?, that's a decent amount, well done.

For those of you who don't know I had better explain. I drew the short straw in life. Of all the people you come across in life, some enrich your life through their humour, wit, intelligence and are very pleasant people with which to share some of the short time that we each have on this earth. But I met Steven.

This has been an experience from which it has been hard, if not impossible to recover. How his lovely wife Paula puts up with his general lack of humour and back stabbing I don't know but those who know him have endured his ribald personality have come to accept him for what he is. I met Steven at Chez Woody soon after I took up woodturning and because the bowl gouge with which I was performing was ground at 53.5 degrees and not my customary 55 degrees I ran out of wood at the bottom of the bowl. The tree had just not been thick enough for the job in question, and there through the bottom of the mounted bowl, was the chuck innards on display. He has gone on and on and on about this ever since. I have explained that if you operate on the boundaries of technology and are prepared to step outside of your comfort zone in the pursuit of artistic excellence than it is highly likely that among your masterpieces there will be what one can only be described as lifes experiences to remind you how far you pushed the boundaries. He fails to accept this and goes on and on about it, and for this I must on his behalf apologise because I have a suspicion that he will mention it again, and again.

Jim

Grand Master
I ran out of wood at the bottom of the bowl. The tree had just not been thick enough for the job in question, and there through the bottom of the mounted bowl, was the chuck innards on display.

I have never done that .. :whistling:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
For those of you who don't know I had better explain. I drew the short straw in life. Of all the people you come across in life, some enrich your life through their humour, wit, intelligence and are very pleasant people with which to share some of the short time that we each have on this earth. But I met Steven.

This has been an experience from which it has been hard, if not impossible to recover. How his lovely wife Paula puts up with his general lack of humour and back stabbing I don't know but those who know him have endured his ribald personality have come to accept him for what he is. I met Steven at Chez Woody soon after I took up woodturning and because the bowl gouge with which I was performing was ground at 53.5 degrees and not my customary 55 degrees I ran out of wood at the bottom of the bowl. The tree had just not been thick enough for the job in question, and there through the bottom of the mounted bowl, was the chuck innards on display. He has gone on and on and on about this ever since. I have explained that if you operate on the boundaries of technology and are prepared to step outside of your comfort zone in the pursuit of artistic excellence than it is highly likely that among your masterpieces there will be what one can only be described as lifes experiences to remind you how far you pushed the boundaries. He fails to accept this and goes on and on about it, and for this I must on his behalf apologise because I have a suspicion that he will mention it again, and again.

Ah yes I remember it well, I wonder if I could find the pictures we took of Neil's masterpiece.
:sob::funny:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
As you can see from the above posts by Woody & Brian, 2 of the others in attendance that day, Neil's experience (or lack of it) shone through that day, much to the ongoing hilarity of all those present. I hope you are able to find the photo's Brian.
It is one of those moments in time that HAS to be re-lived again & again, much to Neil's embarrasment (as you can tell from the diatribe above).
As for the excuses given in Neil's rant as to why it happened, wrong grind, thin tree (didn't you supply the wood that day Neil ??) what can you say............... now you know why Neil concentrates so much on turning pens :face::face::face:
Anything bigger seems to send him into a cold sweat & palpitations but you know, Neil, despite all your faults

We love you & wouldn't have you any other way (well, we could do without the latin & the waffle but we know you aint perfect) :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Edit: before anyone takes any of the above couple of posts the wrong way: I consider Neil to be one of the few people I would go out of my way & give any time to & count him as a friend. We have banter & take the pi$$ out of each other all the time. Please take the posts as they were intended. Neil will probably come back & say he hates my guts but hey ho, you're stuck with me Neil :funny::funny::funny:

Bluefoxy

Neil, what do you expect he's a Leeds supporter! They are a well balanced people with a chip on both shoulders..............................

Ray

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).