• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Chestnut Melamine instead of CA

First Name
Craig
Well being new, I'm picking topics to read that sound interesting. This topic is a fantastic read. I've printed off the step by step guide and will be trying it in the near future.
Great job Phil, Many Many thanks

Craig:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

saleemtaibjee

Registered
First Name
Saleem
I use both wipe on and aerosol versions of Chestnut melamine lacquer. If I want satin finish, I use the wipe on in a manner similar to Phil's method. With the aerosol however you can achieve a glass-like gloss finish. I apply 3 coats of it over cellulose sanding sealer, sand down to 12000 and then buff with a Meguiars car Polish to give a stunning finish. Both wipe on and spray are excellent products. I stopped using ca a few months ago.
Hi Burt. After applying the melamine spray (3 coats), do you sand straight way, or allow it to cure first, please?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Hi Burt. After applying the melamine spray (3 coats), do you sand straight way, or allow it to cure first, please?
Hi,
This is an old post from 2017, thanks for looking through the forum as there is some excellent posts and lots of information out there.
However. Not sure if Burt is still around as his last visit was back in 2022.
If you look in the files section there is a file on melamine finishing, I basically use that method but slightly modified.

If you have a look at my pens recently posted they are all melamine finish as I struggled with CA allergies in prolonged use. Very short term isn’t a problem.

I use a Ultraviolet nail bar drier that speeds up the process and helps harden the melamine off quicker so getting a nice shine much quicker than letting nature take it course,

The most important thing you need to remember is that melamine needs to cure or you will take the hard shell finish off and it will not shine up.

Some leave them overnight, which isn’t a problem as once you get in to a routine you will be able to have pens finished daily if you did that.
Hope that helps.

Maria

First Name
Maria
Given the dangers of UV light, is there an alternative drier available that will cure the melamine finish quicker or as quickly ???

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Given the dangers of UV light, is there an alternative drier available that will cure the melamine finish quicker or as quickly ???
The UV nail driers have a 90 second burst and are all covered facing the UV light down towards the pen blank.

I don’t sit with my hands under the UV or even any part of my body, I take that as a low risk.

It is recognised that it can cause cancer, but bear in mind that people that have their nails done under these things are having many times the exposure than you would with the right care and handling of the UV drier.

I also wear gloves when finishing my pens so reducing the risks further.

It’s all about controlling the risk, I appreciate where you are coming from as remove the risk is better than trying to control it. However I don’t see that what time I am exposed to it is sufficient to be concerned about.

Whatever you do, make sure you don’t use infra red or halogen heaters as that will force dry the chemicals and make them evaporate and cause a rough surface. (Hot hair gun will do the same)

Someone suggested a slow cooker as while ago to me, leave it on low temp to speed the setting up, but I think that would possibly fall in to the “heating it up” section above and cause problems.

Anyone else have any thoughts ?

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
possible slow dry using forced air ? eg put on a platform over. light bulb which causes warm air currents to rise past the blank but to be honest i leave mine vertical on nails in a closed fridge or box overnight . No dust issues and cures well

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
possible slow dry using forced air ? eg put on a platform over. light bulb which causes warm air currents to rise past the blank but to be honest i leave mine vertical on nails in a closed fridge or box overnight . No dust issues and cures well
Exactly the same as me.
I got hold of an old fridge and had the refrigeration and workings removed (Correctly I might add).
Put a little greenhouse heater in the base and its now a lovely warm box - keep my resins and a rack for drying pen tubes etc in it.
Cost about £25 in total (fridge was free / non working) never had an issue and as Ian said, its sealed so no dust :thumbs: