• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Christmas and all that - omegas this time!

Chriscb

First Name
Chris
Afternoon,

Emerged out of the workshop after a few days toiling away, and with the help of some elves I'm showing just a few of the Omegas that I've made.

I wonder if those that know could share their process of choosing a metal coating to match the type of wood used. Some times I get it right other times it looks weird. And then there's the acrylics to contend with!

From the top, Bue Mahoe, Grass Tree, twice, Oak Burr and Ripple Ash.

As always comments and critiques please, especially the matching of metal coating to wood.

Thanks,

Chriscb

Attachments

• Omega-blue-gm.jpg
    Omega-blue-gm.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Omega-gld-grasstree.jpg
    Omega-gld-grasstree.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Omega-gm-gt.jpg
    Omega-gm-gt.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Omega-gld-oakb.jpg
    Omega-gld-oakb.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Omega-Ripash.jpg
    Omega-Ripash.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 66

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
i always find it quite difficult to use chrome kits. I prefer the look of the kit, and think that it is more modern, but they always look a bit cold when assembled- the gold and gunmetal have a warmer tone. i think that you have a good match with the colours that you have chosen.

Ratty

First Name
David
Nice pens.
I am always surprised that the ones I don't think work well together often sell first. There is no right or wrong as everybody's taste is different.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Very nicely done Chris, good choices made in My opinion. If they look right, they probably are. :love_it::love_it::thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Fill a room with penturners ,ask the question you have re coordination of kits to blanks. You will have Brexit all over again,each person with their own theories.

The first three any wild bird would be happy with the coordinate colours (as in eggs in a nest),blend in beautifully with the kit.The fourth pen also exciting and incredible grain, the fifth pen special as well. I will always defer to others re the use of chrome,my own opinion is it is a beaut pen.You turn to emphasise the timber,strong design and great taste in timbers.

Peter.

Gregory Hardy

Graduate Member
First Name
Greg
I agree with Peter. Color preferences are like ice cream flavors. ("Opinions are like backsides. Everybody's got one.") I made the same pen in the same wood with different metal choices as an experiment. The one I liked least was the first to sell. This is one of the creative expressions of making a kit-based pen. Make pens. Someone will fall in love with each and everyone one of them. Some take longer to find a home. There are some unsuspecting souls out there right now who love the pens you presented in this thread and they don't even know what's about to hit 'em yet! Beauties, all of them.

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Lovely pens there Chris, each one unique and each will have a follower - as has been said.

I think Greg summed it up nicely!

Personally, I dislike chrome, but it seems to be very popular at the moment.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
A nice set Chris. As has been said the choice is very subjective. I find chrome to be more popular than gold. I don't make many gunmetal although when I have it seems to sell well so I probabaly should do more.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).