• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Chrome, Gunmetal & A splash of colour.

Paul hd

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Had a go at casting with the tube in place rather than drilling.
I didn't mix the resin well, it didn't seem to fully cure even after 4/5 days but it still cut OK.

The pen is a Zeta and the resin is Opti cast 100 PU. Colours by Alumilite.

Turning a pen. - YouTube

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Blue and green should be seen in a pen blank more often Paul. Smooth video mate. Overall attention getter and allround beautiful pen.

Peter.

Paul hd

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Another great video and great looking pen Paul.:thumbs::thumbs:
What did you use for the mould?
Hi Mark, it is foam board 5mm. It is foam sandwiched between paper so it is pretty fragile. Once the resin is cured I just cut or turn it away.
I'm going to start using the board the estate agents use to advertise homes for sale. That is much tougher and with the use of mould release can be re-used. I think it is called Cordex.

Cheers
Paul

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Paul, have you thought what about using HDPE for your moulds? Also the problems with the curing could be down to using the wooden stirrer! according to the instructions for all these clear resins you should always use plastic cups & stirrers as the moisture in paper cups & wooden stirrers can inhibit the cure!
I know it sounds crazy moisture in paper or dry wooden stirrers, but that's what the instructions say.

Paul hd

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Paul, have you thought what about using HDPE for your moulds? Also the problems with the curing could be down to using the wooden stirrer! according to the instructions for all these clear resins you should always use plastic cups & stirrers as the moisture in paper cups & wooden stirrers can inhibit the cure!
I know it sounds crazy moisture in paper or dry wooden stirrers, but that's what the instructions say.

Hi Paul,
I have a couple of cutting boards which I believe are HDPE Or something very similar. Just not got around to cutting them up.

Good point on the wood stirrer and I must start using the plastic knives that I have. I have stirred with the wood before but this was the only blank that I have had a bit of a problem with.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Hi Mark, it is foam board 5mm. It is foam sandwiched between paper so it is pretty fragile. Once the resin is cured I just cut or turn it away.
I'm going to start using the board the estate agents use to advertise homes for sale. That is much tougher and with the use of mould release can be re-used. I think it is called Cordex.

Cheers
Paul

Thanks Paul, I will keep my eye out next time they have an erection here.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).