• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Chrome vs Silver plating

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
With the fancy slimline pens, are the polished chrome ones any more durable/hard wearing than the polished silver?

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Silver is pretty soft Paul - it also tarnishes. I think the answer to your question would be that chrome is much harder wearing, but side by side it is a lot more grey in appearance. A lot would also depend on the quality and thickness of the plating of course. People seeking a white precious plating would generally go for rhodium, which is similar to platinum, is more or less bomb proof and doesn't tarnish.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
THANKS Phil, I do have rhodim for the higher end stuff, but it's the normal silver & chrome fancy slimlines for these particular pens I'm working on at the moment, I've sold about 50 over the last week but was only offering gold & silver as options (sold about twice as many silver as gold, I'm ordering more Penkits & was wandering to offer Chrome as an option especially if it is more hard wearing.
By the way I've just ordered one of your gold mistral fountain pens today to give that a whirl, hopeful more orders for the gold & rhodium fountains & rollerball coming along in the next few weeks if it's successful!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am not sure of the coating life or wear resistance using Silver tips but I do like them also the matte chrome. Be interested in a knowledgable reply as well.

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
THANKS Phil, I do have rhodim for the higher end stuff, but it's the normal silver & chrome fancy slimlines for these particular pens I'm working on at the moment, I've sold about 50 over the last week but was only offering gold & silver as options (sold about twice as many silver as gold, I'm ordering more Penkits & was wandering to offer Chrome as an option especially if it is more hard wearing.
By the way I've just ordered one of your gold mistral fountain pens today to give that a whirl, hopeful more orders for the gold & rhodium fountains & rollerball coming along in the next few weeks if it's successful!
Thanks for your order Paul - it should land on your doormat this morning - I hope you like the Mistral.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).