• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cigar Black Ice

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
I have a friend who prefers pens with a matte finish. This is a Cigar pen kit in satin black from Woodcraft. The blank is an acrylic acetate called Black Ice. To make the bodies dull, I polished them with all 9 grades of Micro Mesh, then (thanks to a suggestion here) used 0000 steel wool to dull the finish. I'm pleasantly surprised, this turned out much better than I expected!

Attachments

• 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 079.JPG
    079.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 59

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Nice pen,Jim, I have used that blank too.

The cigar kit has been a let down for me ,I purchased 10 just before I had a rest from turning a couple of years ago. Eight of the ten have faulty twist mechs and have just laid there due to my inactivity,in fairness David at TB promised to replace them and send them with my next order, which I never got round to putting together. I will have to look round locally to see if I can get hold of some.

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
Nice pen,Jim, I have used that blank too.

The cigar kit has been a let down for me ,I purchased 10 just before I had a rest from turning a couple of years ago. Eight of the ten have faulty twist mechs and have just laid there due to my inactivity,in fairness David at TB promised to replace them and send them with my next order, which I never got round to putting together. I will have to look round locally to see if I can get hold of some.

It seems like all suppliers sell Cigar style kits, some called Cuban, Big Ben, etc. Not all offer the same finishes. I have noticed, though, that all of the Cigar kits I've used have come with a double twist mechanism. In other words, you can twist it clockwise or counter-clockwise to extend the refill. I prefer single twist mechanisms, but (knock on wood) haven't had any defective mechanisms.

Jim

Grand Master
Great looking pen Jim .. I like the way you have finished the blank .. :thumbs:

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Nice one Jim, I noted that tip on 0000 steel wool too. Did you sand radially whilst hand turning on the lathe or in a different manner ?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).