• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cleared out some rubbish

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I spent the day yesterday and Friday morning clearing whatever rubbish I could from the garage to make way for a new machine or just to be able to use the machine I already have. I cut up about 20 3m wide backgrounds into 3 and 4 pieces and made 2 trips to the dump with a volvo estate full of the stuff. It doesn't look like much has change, but I have to keep remembering how full the car was. I have come across 1000's of folders and mounts and am inclined to just dump them, but have a nagging voice in the back of my mind saying I should at least try to sell them. I need to move some stuff around to get to lots more rubbish that is blocked in. The wife's bike has been released and she is threatening that we are going out for a ride tomorrow, can't go for one today as we have to take our Granddaughter to the east coast for her two week camp. I may stay and do a bit more on the garage.

I was going to go to Warco yesterday morning, but it turns out they are not open on a Saturday except for the open day, so maybe Wednesday.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
My problem when I clear out is I just rearrange the rubbish.

That's exactly what I did in the past, at the moment I am being ruthless, I hope it lasts.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
can't go for one today as we have to take our Granddaughter to the east coast for her two week camp. I may stay and do a bit more on the garage.

Peter

If it is this way Peter then avoid the Dover area because of the back up at the ferries

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If it is this way Peter then avoid the Dover area because of the back up at the ferries

Thanks for that Derek, but instead of saying the east coast I should have said towards the east coast. It's actually near Peterborough, very close to Snetterton.

I have just been reprieved, I don't have to go with them, so I can spend more time in the garage clearing out, it's getting addictive.

Peter

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I took a small bird off the cat, it was still alive so I put it I a box in the shed thinking it would die in peace. When I went back a few hours later to dispose of it, the box was empty, now I have to clear out the cluttered shed to find the body. :sob:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Great news Peter I hope its catching I have so much of this to do. I would prefer to do it myself and not leave it to others later on.

All the best with your mill purchase.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Mmmm wish I could be ruthless with clearing stuff out of the shed managed to sell a scroll saw the other week only to replace it with an other one. I can not find things I need also have been putting off putting a Triton router table and router together cause I need to make room and can never get my mind round how to arrange storage and placement of stuff for the best outcome in the shed and every time I select something to sell or chuck out this little mantra goes off in my head telling me that it might be quite handy one day.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Great news Peter I hope its catching I have so much of this to do. I would prefer to do it myself and not leave it to others later on.

All the best with your mill purchase.

It's hard to get rid of stuff I've had for years, but while I am still in the mood for removing everything I haven't used in years I am quite enthusiastic to get it done.

Peter.

Mmmm wish I could be ruthless with clearing stuff out of the shed managed to sell a scroll saw the other week only to replace it with an other one. I can not find things I need also have been putting off putting a Triton router table and router together cause I need to make room and can never get my mind round how to arrange storage and placement of stuff for the best outcome in the shed and every time I select something to sell or chuck out this little mantra goes off in my head telling me that it might be quite handy one day.

My garage is in such a mess with photographic gear, machines, the household chest freezer, ladders and just about any old crap we could shove in there. When I have been looking for stuff and not finding it/them I have gone out and bought another sometimes twice or more we have left over paint that is probably 20 years old just waiting to be used, it is now going to the dump and we will buy new paint as we need it. It is really not like me to throw anything away, but it has been cathartic starting the journey. There may be room for other new stuff later on:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Why not hand things into charity shops instead of dumping? One mans meat is,,

I can't be bothered with parking and then making numerous trips from the car park to the charity shop.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Pull every thing out, start putting things back that you need, then what you really want, by then you proberly starting to get pissed off with it, then you really throw stuff out that you might have kept.

Recently when I made a large Chocolate Wheel for our friends it took me over half an hour to clear a space at the front of my workshop to approach the table saw. In an attempt to save money I used up pieces of laminate 3/4 inch and the 10 inch saw is the easy way out. My friend Elizabeth is running for our local Parliament she is Liberal and I am good old fashioned Labour.

I got them to send me a pic of their car and the wheel by E Mail. They painted the wheel 1/2 inch compressed board. I used stainless steel bolts with washers and spring washers at each segment then turned a 2.5 inch thick hard rock maple disk about 6 inches round, this was screwed through the front to give strength and in the back to recess a turned brass shaft to a hefty bearing. The shaft I threaded 10mm by a couple of inches. The shaft I red loctited into the bearing also locked up the two allen screws. Used about 100 screws to assemble and box support the heavy Tassie Blackwood upright to hold the bearing and wheel.

The biggest problem was to ensure strength and portability. To provide the rat a tat from the top I tried different methods finally choosing a heavy duty cable tie. It works so well. She is using it at meetings etc as we speak I make no claim on her choice and painting of the wheel.

2nd Pic of the car. By the way I have this theory never use one screw where ten won,t do.

Peter.

Attachments

• Elizabeth CAr.jpg
    Elizabeth CAr.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Chocalate Wheel.jpg
    Chocalate Wheel.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 15

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I've been order to clear the garden shed out...but I just cant do it I've grown up with some of the things in there ..she just doesn't understand .:sob:

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
I am like you Ed, I love all my "will come in handy one day" junk. When my son, very tidy guy, looked down his nose at the mess in my workshop, I said ok, what would you throw out?" that piece of cardboard for starters" he grunted. The cardboard was the very next thing I used as it happened.:funny:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Do you have something like free cycle in your area?

Yes we have freecycle, but I have listed lots of things on there before and I get emails saying they want it, but they always end up not turning up, so I give that a swerve now.

I managed to get rid of 7 fabric background today to mates instead of taking them to the dump, so I was pleased about that. I brought 6 Bowens flash packs in to test them and one went POP and started smoking so it can be used for spares if someone buys a couple of working ones, it's pitiful what I can get for them considering how much they cost new although I have had more than my money's worth out of them, they may buy me a Clarkson Autochuck for the mill.

More trips to the dump today and more planned tomorrow :thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Actually it would be a Clarkson autolock chuck and the only reason I mentioned it is because I was talking to a friend today who has one with his Tom Senior Mill and swears by it. It is far too expensive for me to think about buying it unless things I sold would pay for it. I really don't understand why it is supposed to be better other than what he has told me.

I think right off I am looking at a 2MT ER32 collet chuck that will accept a draw bar as I already have the collets to fit, from what I have read there are advantages of both systems. The Clarkson will auto lock the cutter if you don't happen to tighten it enough, some things I have read reckon that the ER32 collets might allow the cutters to slip if too big a cut is attempted, but I know I am capable of light cuts and never rush anything anyway.

It's all new to me and is a bit of a mindfield, the way I see it is that if I get an MT2 ER32 collet chuck and it doesn't work that great then I can upgrade and haven't lost much money, if it works well then it's a bonus.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).