• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Conifers - Would you turn it or not ?

Jim

Grand Master
I have never heard of anyone local turning conifers, but i wouldn't knock it that is for sure .. Woody, i love those Snowmen .. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Found this post most revealing but no different from any other proving beyond doubt in my mind all joking aside (enjoy the jokes as well ) the best people to sell to are the general public who view items for what they are mostly not for what they are made from. Of course there are exceptions but then just say to someone my favourite car is.

Over here Huon Pine in burl form is regarded as almost priceless still a pine however with a growth rate of mm,s per annum and rarity factor has become a legend, Radiata Pine fast growing harvested under 20 yrs used for most building trusses, framing etc is scorned, Hoop Pine grown up north is tighter grain has great acceptance.

Woody I too loved the Snowman the character of the timber amazing, a pro turner now passed on in our club using a skew chisel only produced smooth as silk items from common pine that impressed the most hardened members against pine he was a journeyman apprentice from West Australia where it was a TAFE course as it was in a few states years ago now rare as.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).