• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Copied Ted.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Mark just an idea, I found that just using a tin pea can or fruit can is ok for melting, depending how you heat the stuff works and if you have a hot air gun try to keep it hot while you compress the plastic works and the best way I found is using the drill press with a bit of wood nearly the same dia of the can and hold the drill press handle down hard does the trick, you can just cut the tin and peel it off then cut the result of the melt on the bandsaw or whatever you want! hope that makes sense as i do have few problems with the grey matter since I had a brain bleed a few years ago:rolling:
Would love to see your next attempt mate..:thumbs:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Mark,
I think that was a great try at melting and moulding. I don't quite see where the problem is though, the piece on the lathe looks alright,possibly a bit rough, and I don't know what the lump is sitting there for ? I seem to be missing it here:rolling:
I seemed to have only seen advice about melting in the microwave ? I never thought to try and melt it in a billy can over the fire :thinks:

Last edited:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Mark,
I think that was a great try at melting and moulding. I don't quite see where the problem is though, the piece on the lathe looks alright,possibly a bit rough, and I don't know what the lump is sitting there for ? I seem to be missing it here:rolling:
I seemed to have only seen advice about melting in the microwave ? I never thought to try and melt it in a billy can over the fire :thinks:

Don it will not melt in a microwave, the ones in all the videos I have seen are small electric toaster ovens, but heat sources like torches or heat guns etc will work it is mostly a trial and error thing!

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Thanks Ted,
I was thinking of doing this with the 'Fruit Shoot' bottles. My grandson goes though them like billy-o.
I can see the problem in the pics now the lump at the front seems to have quite a few air holes in it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).