• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Corn cob

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
One of my cousins feeds squirrels in his back garden. How saves the cobs. Not sure why but it worked out for me. When I asked if he had any to spare:ciggrin:he delivered 3 large sacks of around 400 cobs. I sent anyone on IAP that would cover the postage a medium size flat rate box. I stabilized a couple and turned this for my cousin as thanks. Slim line with home made center band, CA finish.

Attachments

• 20160627_155030_kindlephoto-35785878.jpg
    20160627_155030_kindlephoto-35785878.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 59

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
!!Nice Job On That, Terry!!:thumbs::thumbs:
The corn crop around here is about 3' high.
Probably have to wait until at least Sept.
to go ''cob pickin''. I only have a few left from the last
batch.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Beautiful Terry, I have been saving some cobs but am at a loss as to what to do next.:thinks::thinks:

You don't have to stabilize but it helps. They are pretty fragile. A large barrel pen works better. Drill and glue in the tubes. Squaring the ends should really be done by sanding. Mount the blank and begin reducing the size from the ends to the middle. Soak with thin CA turn away some more, soak-turn, soak-turn. Go slow, use very sharp tools. Did I say they are fragile? I have wrecked more than saved. Good luck.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Stunning Terry, have you ever casted any with resin? :thinks:

No Jim. I don't cast. I have enough on my plate. Serpentines take 3-4 hours a day. I just started glue ups to make wig stands to donate to an agency that supports women undergoing chemotherapy. There us a company that makes elevators for residential use. I have made arrangements to get there drop offs. Right now there 8 boxes cluttering up my floor. I need to get a couple more turning buddies involved in the wig stand project.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Terry highly commendable the Wig Stand project 4 yrs ago when my dearly beloved shed her hair from Chemo she chose the scarf approach. At first it came out in clumps she asked me to cut it all off a very emotional time. Later it regrew curly for a time great excitement over 4 yrs in remission for her from two of the worst blood born cancers, a massive 4 yr operation and recuperation to forget.

Anything that supports those in need is great. She has knitted thousands of care bears for red cross, wool beanies for cancer patients and endless woolen layettes for new born dead babies.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).