• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Could do with some advice on dust extraction

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
With any thing that is vented back into the shed I always wonder what fine dust is coming out of the exhaust?:thinks:

All of them do unless it's mounted outside. Or in the case of the Camvac you vent the hose outside. If you do this you don't need the silencer. Models like the record power RSDE series etc don't have an exhaust hose so it all gets vented inside unless you extend the hose and put the vac outside. Poor design really unless you're a neighbor that would otherwise get wood dust blown their way! It has to go somewhere.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Ian, sent you a PM, have a look it and let me know if I can be of help.

The most important thing is getting the right system for you and making sure it covers the amount of airflow you need.

Every fitting, gate, and bend will increase the static pressure and have a negative impact on what you connect it too.

Even down to the type of pipe work you fit as well means it can effect it all.

If you want to fit it once and fit it to work and waste no more money you need to seriously think about the size of dust extraction you use.

If you was fitting your original suggestion to the lathe or the band saw on its own then it would be big enough, when you start to add bends, gates and all the extra pipe work then it won't be big enough. I believe you will need at least 1200m3 for an installed system with all the ancillary fittings to make it work for both units.

That's an experienced assumption based on experience and roughly working out the average piping. Bear in mind you need to keep the velocity up to at least 23m/s. That is just to keep the ducts clear.

Just connecting a normal unit up to a band saw will bring a status pressure (SP) loss of nearly 40mm/wg. 4' of 4" hose without bends will give another 20mm/wg drop... That's in the simple stuff, then stick a gate, more pipe work a bend and Y or Tee piece in it!!!!

I don't want you to get the idea that it's simple and easy to install, yes it is for de dusting one unit. And only one unit to de dust.

Hope you can see where I am coming from, don't want you to buy something then find its been a waste of money and doesn't work.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Many times vacuum is likened to water, there are rules as Eamonn has gone at length to point out. Early days I bought a book to help me with the need to connect so many machines to learn these principles. One unit I made from a proper motor etc takes care of two separate 12 inch sanders, One Lathe,Large Router Bench, 14 inch Bandsaw. Drill Stand. Altogether numerous Vac Systems. My workshop is the equivalent of 12 feet wide by 100 feet.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Just noticed, "status pressure" in my thread reply should be "static Pressure".

By the way, shed size doesn't really matter only when installing a recycling dedusting system (such as the record ac400 three stage filtration system) or the extraction system is piped to the outside. (You will need a fresh air inlet to the shed replace the air being taken out by the extractor)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When I worked at a University the message was brought home about positive and negative pressure exhaust systems connected on many floors to fume cupboards people lives depended on it to get the vacuum to pull the dangerous fumes from the laboratories. One time they refurbished I scored several three phase 1/3 hp motors that were used to drive by belt huge snail fans in the roof. I collected many o9f the snail fans for mates and club mates, they were cast iron and I was much fitter then. I tied them one at a time to me and walked the ceiling joists a long way lowered them down the equivalent of two floors to a landing, then several floors of steps using a stair climber trolley. A tribute those motors originals in the 1950,s, still going. I worked on this The John Curtin School of Medical Research as an apprenticed Electrician.

You must not have a sealed system that creates negative pressure in a workshop else one day if the place is well sealed danger awaits either from CA etc or fine dust.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).