• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Customs

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I agree with you Paul, that a flat rate fee seems unreasonable, but from Royal Mail's point of view, the cost of providing the service is more or less the same whether they are dealing with small values or large. I agree that a sliding fee scale proportionate to the duty paid would be fairer for the consumer. As for whether I am happy with the charges or not, I am not, nor am I happy with the VAT on imports and I simply avoid both by not, generally speaking, importing kits from abroad.

Whatever the fee, charging for a service is not a crime so their charges cannot properly be described as theft or robbery.

Wonga's interest rates and those of the other "pay day loan" providers are not illegal either (at present). They are however. in my opinion, extortionate, immoral and exploitative of those who can least afford it.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
The only reason we have crap kits is because we put up with crap quality.

I nearly agree with you Brian, but not quite. In my opinion, the reason we have crap kits is because we demand cheap kits. We would rather buy cheap copies than pay the full price for the genuine article. If no-one bought the copies, then demand for the genuine article would increase the supply of better quality items and bring the price down. O-level economics innit?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
So... to avoid these cheap kits we try to source them elsewhere. Where can we get them? abroad. We order them and then pay extortionate amounts of fees... not government VAT, Customs but handling fees. So what do we do... buy cheap Chinese kits... catch 22.

I have imported containers of goods and pay a fraction of the cost that RM charges proportionally.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I have imported containers of goods and pay a fraction of the cost that RM charges proportionally.

Then surely the answer is to buy large quantities of decent quality kits either by clubbing together with others or importing them yourself and selling them on.

(And not everything bought from abroad is the genuine article either - but don't let's get started on what is and what isn't)

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Then surely the answer is to buy large quantities of decent quality kits either by clubbing together with others or importing them yourself and selling them on.

Sure it is but I don't in the same way that when I go out for steak I don't buy the whole cow. I just want to buy a reasonable amount.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Sure, that's economics but I wouldn't expect to pay £15 for the steak and then get a £30 delivery charge because they had to pay for the steak in the first place and if they charged this I would go somewhere else. With the Royal Mail you have no choice.

Anyway, in my opinion its extortion charging £8 to cover a £3.32 customs bill. I guess we'll always differ on that.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Not forgetting the inconsistancy of payments, i have ad parcels sent from america by my family and had no charges where as a had charges when i bought fishing tackle items?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Not forgetting the inconsistancy of payments, i have ad parcels sent from america by my family and had no charges where as a had charges when i bought fishing tackle items?

So there's your answer get your family in America to buy them for you and send them over as a gift I did promise myself I was going to stay away from this one the times it has been debated and it goes on and on so I will shut up BYYYYYYYYYYYY:whistling::whistling:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
With the Royal Mail you have no choice.

Yes you do you could use FedEx or UPS and pay even more

Anyway, in my opinion its extortion charging £8 to cover a £3.32 customs bill. I guess we'll always differ on that.

I disagree that it is extortion simply on the basis that extortion is the criminal offence of obtaining money, property, or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion and RM are not committing that or any other crime, however I do agree that charging the same fee whatever the size of the transaction is unfair. Life is unfair.

Anyway, I am off now to stock up the gallery. Lets just agree to differ.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
So there's your answer get your family in America to buy them for you and send them over as a gift I did promise myself I was going to stay away from this one the times it has been debated and it goes on and on so I will shut up BYYYYYYYYYYYY:whistling::whistling:

Yes Woody, this one does always come up for debate.... :rolling:
But within the debate someone usually has another way through... hopefully...

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Imported some kits, they arrived today and only had to pay £8 handling fee..... :face:

And that was for 35 kits and a few bushes as well..:thumbs:

I got mine today... Now I want to have a go at making a sealed end pen but I've got to got to work and won't be back home till next Thursday...... damm

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).