• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cutting Corian

Jim

Grand Master
Well i finally got myself a tile cutter,ended up buying one from Wickes, the one my mate was going to mod was not suited for my use ... :nooidea:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Well i finally got myself a tile cutter,ended up buying one from Wickes, the one my mate was going to mod was not suited for my use ... :nooidea:

Does this mean we are going to see some pens made in corian shortly mate ? :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
I cut several pieces of corian in slats of 7" x 1", glued them up and then halved then ready to drill this weekend. Messy work, i also got a little wet as i had left of the blade cover initially ... Lesson learnt. :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
Hi Gary, the saw works well on the long cuts, i will still need to use the bandsaw for cutting the slices off the glued blocks, i was toying with the idea last week of making a sled for the tile saw, i never did .. :ciggrin:

Jim

Grand Master
I have just ordered two Bellringer, as the one on my saw at the moment is to big and rough for the smooth cut i need on the corian, i use 1/4" x .025" Tooth Pitch: 18 tpi, which cuts very smooth and leaves no ruts on the cut, the blade is actually advertised for modelling work ... :ciggrin:

Jim

Grand Master
well i have a 10 tpi so that should work

Yes it should do, the one in the saw at the minute is a 6 tpi with leaves ruts in the corian, which then needs plenty of sanding before being able to glue it ... :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks Frankie, but i got myself a tile cutter now ...:bwink:

Ah, just asked you about the pen kit in a PM ... :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
If you work with Corian i would recommend using a tile saw to make the long cuts, i have been preparing some blanks today using the saw, cutting up to 11" in length and it went through it like butter, leaving a nice even edge for gluing ...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).