• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Damascus Steel JR Majestic Fountain pen.

johnny5

Registered
A hand Forged hand turned Damascus Steel Fountain pen.
Made using a JR Majestic Fountain pen in Black Titanium & Rhodium accents.
They say the pen is mightier than the sword .
This was made using Damascus steel a legendary & renowned Sword making Steel.
Known for its strength & beauty.

P7295597.JPGP7295598.JPGP7295599.JPGP7295600.JPGP7295602.JPGP7295603.JPGP7295605.JPG

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It looks a beauty:thumbs: where did you get the blank made?

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Wow this has to be totally wild, groundbreaking stuff Johnny good on you.What was it like to machine and drill mate. Love the pen and your courage to have a go.

Peter.

johnny5

Registered
Wow this has to be totally wild, groundbreaking stuff Johnny good on you.What was it like to machine and drill mate. Love the pen and your courage to have a go.

Peter.

Started drilling with wrong bits initially. Once i ordered cobalt drill bits it was fine to drill using the old Myford . When turning using carbide tips you have to be careful you do not turn too close to OD parameters , Damascus has a tendency to flake off if it is too thin. lots of :praying: Filed and polished on the mandrel then Then bathed in Ferric Chloride and washed in Bicarbonate soda.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
I love the story behind this steel. The original recipe lost and only found after hundreds of years of research. We don't relay know if it is truly the original steel made all those years ago, who cares it's beautiful.

On footnote for those who watch Game of Thrones - Damascus steel gave R R Martin the idea to invent Valyrain steel in the books.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Started drilling with wrong bits initially. Once i ordered cobalt drill bits it was fine to drill using the old Myford . When turning using carbide tips you have to be careful you do not turn too close to OD parameters , Damascus has a tendency to flake off if it is too thin. lots of :praying: Filed and polished on the mandrel then Then bathed in Ferric Chloride and washed in Bicarbonate soda.

THanks Johnny I have a desire to make a knife from Damascus steel, since it is folded and belted from many pieces it would be unwise to use my favourite DeWalt Force2 drills with their flat lands they would try to separate or follow off centre. Full marks for the pen mate.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).