• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Die Holders

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I have this one (which is MT2) Axminster Tailstock Die Holder - Tooling - Engineering Lathe Accessories - Lathe Accessories - Machinery Accessories - Accessories | Axminster Tools & Machinery, in which the large die holders are held by the smaller die holder, so in theory, the 38mm die holder supplied with this kit should fit in one of the die holders in this MT1 set Access Denied.

It means buying two sets, but if you also have a MT2 lathe, they'll probably both come in.

Hope that makes sense? :thinks:

Burt25

First Name
Ian
I have this one (which is MT2) Axminster Tailstock Die Holder - Tooling - Engineering Lathe Accessories - Lathe Accessories - Machinery Accessories - Accessories | Axminster Tools & Machinery, in which the large die holders are held by the smaller die holder, so in theory, the 38mm die holder supplied with this kit should fit in one of the die holders in this MT1 set Access Denied.

It means buying two sets, but if you also have a MT2 lathe, they'll probably both come in.

Hope that makes sense? :thinks:

Thanks Melanie,
I see what you mean and I think that could work.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
You might be able to find the component parts elsewhere, I just came across the one on ebay and thought it might be a solution. You could always give Axminster a call and see if they will just sell the 38mm holder separately as a replacement part.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I've just checked my Axminster die holder set, and the 38mm holder has a shank which is 25.3(ish)mm, so should fit in the 1 inch die holder of the ebay Chronos kit (as it does in my Axminster kit).

The only issue that it does all end up being fairly long, so will take up a fair amount of room between centres....let me know if you'd like me to measure.

Burt25

First Name
Ian
I've just checked my Axminster die holder set, and the 38mm holder has a shank which is 25.3(ish)mm, so should fit in the 1 inch die holder of the ebay Chronos kit (as it does in my Axminster kit).

The only issue that it does all end up being fairly long, so will take up a fair amount of room between centres....let me know if you'd like me to measure.

Thanks for that Melanie - I will let you know if I need any more info.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
There is a drill chuck 1 morse taper that would hold Lathe Tailstock Holders with 3/8 straight,stem. Another way to go. IMHO drill chucks are vital.

Peter.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I never think of the hex dies thanks for the tip Les.

Peter.

Be careful. Hex dies are normally intended for rethreading damaged threads and used with a spanner. Split dies can be opened up to make starting threads much easier then closed down as required to get the fit you want. If you do intend to buy hex dies make sure they have a proper "lead" on one side.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Be careful. Hex dies are normally intended for rethreading damaged threads and used with a spanner. Split dies can be opened up to make starting threads much easier then closed down as required to get the fit you want. If you do intend to buy hex dies make sure they have a proper "lead" on one side.

My information has it that hex cutting dies would be an ideal because they will be used for pen use,quality is the key.Definition important in every purchase. Today I spoke with makers in America and out of Melbourne Australia.

I like your thoughts however the trade users know this unlike us. What started all of this was a guy with a flimsy one morse taper wanting to satisfy a larger lathe and a smaller precision lathe with 1 mt tailstock. The real mismatch of 1.5 inch die in the trade to 1 mt means few are made. When buying lathes we tend to jump in and learn later.

Buying guides for wood lathes indicate a minimum of 2 mt should be the norm, then no probs in finding accessories.Another distinct advantage can be through holed tailstocks hardly useful with 1 mt.

In our wood guild we all bought cheap drills and welded them to steel rods for hole boring in timber through the tailstock,cheap as chips to make and replace. I only wish makers of wood lathes would develop consistent head stock threads etc.

In this instance a hex die would seem a quick and easy answer to the initial post using a 1mt shaft into a suitable chuck as in Les . or make your own or go to the nearest tafe college and get the guys to make something for you.One of the trade training class exercises over here was to make sliding die holder, had mine for twenty years from a garage sale from a retired fitter and turner, for the purpose of pens Aluminium can be used. A guy called Big Shed has been making these die holders on the library of the Aussie site showing how.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Ian,

You don't need to buy an adapter, you can make one out of a piece of wood or plastic. turn the middle out to suit the die, then turn the outside to suit your existing floating die holder. Make it long enough to make sure that the threaded section can go through and not hit the end.

You can use a self tapper or even small wood screws to stop the Die turning

Before we had the floating system that's all we used to make any pen. TBH I can' really say it was an improvement when we brought them. just one of those "tools" that we wanted.

You could also use the standard die holder hand set and use the tailstock to make sure its square.(You may have to shorten the handles tho)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).