• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dividing Head or Rotary table?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I am looking at Dividing Heads and Rotary tables, I was told by a friend to get a dividing head, but I remember Skiprat uses a Rotary table pretty much the same way as you would use a Dividing head so does anyone have one or the other or maybe both and can give me a heads up what to consider.

Peter

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi Peter,
A rotary table only turns one degree or muilti angles at a time. A dividing head has the option to change hole discs and position of the peg, to suit any size diameter or shape in a perfect division.

Of the two, a diving head is more aimed at the engineer.
Hope this helps.
Kelvin

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter,
A rotary table only turns one degree or muilti angles at a time. A dividing head has the option to change hole discs and position of the peg, to suit any size diameter or shape in a perfect division.

Of the two, a diving head is more aimed at the engineer.
Hope this helps.
Kelvin

Are you sure, Skiprat uses a rotary table with plates to change hole discs.

Peter

Phenolic gear cutting - YouTube

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Both expensive choices, horses for courses. Purpose, needs and where and what you fit them to so many firsts. A quick E Mail to Skiprat telling him your need would give a great starting place Peter.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The first pic is a true dividing head, using a fitted fixed three jaw. The second is a dividing rotary table, with no fixed three jaw.
I have used these type of machines over the past 30 years, making spur gears and other gearing.
Here is a link to a site explaining its principles.

Dividing head – introduction | john f's workshop

Kelvin

Thank you for taking the time, I have seen so many sites trying to explain the difference between them and I still don't get it, I am waiting for the lightbulb moment. I have ordered a book on dividing so am hoping that will help to make it clear rather than just add to my confusion.

Peter

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
So you got your mill?

No, just window shopping and trying to work out what I need/want or not.

I have looked at that and it may be one I will get if I can work out what I want to do.

Peter

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi Peter,
The book "Harold Hall's book on Dividing" I think was published some 15-20 years ago. He was then a writer for "Model Engineering" mag. About the same age as me! as I dabbled in model steam engines etc. Many moons ago.
Kelvin

Last edited:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter,
The book "Harold Hall's book on Dividing" I think was published some 15-20 years ago. He was then a writer for "Model Engineering" mag. About the same age as me! as I dabbled in model steam engines etc. Many moons ago.
Kelvin

I have ordered a further two of his books MILLING A COMPLETE COURSE and The Milling Machine one of which goes into more depth about rotary tables, dividing heads and indexers.

He has a knack of explaining things in a way I can understand at last.

Peter

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
You can not go wrong with those type books. At least one can refer back on a book, in my days of an M.E.C.P. student at college, we only had one book between 20 of us!
But back at the company we used Cincinnati millers with Cincinnati dividing heads. These used in the production of hydraulic presses up to 1000 tons p.i.
Glad I am retired.
Kelvin

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You can not go wrong with those type books. At least one can refer back on a book, in my days of an M.E.C.P. student at college, we only had one book between 20 of us!
But back at the company we used Cincinnati millers with Cincinnati dividing heads. These used in the production of hydraulic presses up to 1000 tons p.i.
Glad I am retired.
Kelvin

I am looking forward to reading them and learn a little more, even if I don't end up getting a mill or a dividing head, I will have learned a little more than I know at the moment.

If I had the room to put a Cincinnati mill in my garage, the one I am thinking of getting would be a doddle.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Glad I am retired.
Kelvin

Kelvin what presses at this pressure mate. At the Royal Mint recently there were so many presses.

Peter.

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi Peter,
Those presses were for the Soviet Union. This was in around 1970-75, most were tailored up to press tank wheels, armoured plates etc; They stood up nearly twice the height of a doubled decked bus, with the main centre ram nearly 5 foot in diameter. These were self contained machines, all having their own hydraulic pump units (each press had three pumps in a row, to produce that pressure). One press took three massive load loaders to ship to Russia. That's all I can remember, I was only 18 then.
Kelvin

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter,
Those presses were for the Soviet Union. This was in around 1970-75, most were tailored up to press tank wheels, armoured plates etc; They stood up nearly twice the height of a doubled decked bus, with the main centre ram nearly 5 foot in diameter. These were self contained machines, all having their own hydraulic pump units (each press had three pumps in a row, to produce that pressure). One press took three massive load loaders to ship to Russia. That's all I can remember, I was only 18 then.
Kelvin

that work requires great care mate, experiences like that are rarish and exciting.Makes pen turning look a doddle. Thanks for sharing.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).