• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Do people care if it's wood with a 'fancy' name?

L33

First Name
Lee
This week I sold a few pens...mainly Walnut, but also Apple. It got me thinking...are people more likely to buy a pen because the wood has a fancy name like Cocbolo, Padauk etc...or do people not really care? As a wood worker, I know which woods are easy to acquire and which woods are exotic or hard to come by, but I'm guessing most people looking to buy a pen don't know the difference between Walnut and Paduak...and probably don't even care :)

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have had people specifically ask for Amboyna and Thuya burrs as well as Elm and a few other burrs, don't underestimate peoples knowledge. Some people will have a reason to ask for specific woods rather than just take what's on offer.

Peter

L33

First Name
Lee
I have had people specifically ask for Amboyna and Thuya burrs as well as Elm and a few other burrs, don't underestimate peoples knowledge. Some people will have a reason to ask for specific woods rather than just take what's on offer.

Peter

Yeah, I guess so...looks like I might need to swot up a bit though...Amboyna and Thuya is a new one on me...that's the beauty of this pen making...you get to see and use new woods you'd never dream of ever using in normal woodworking.

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
with a handmade product, i think that customers are often interested in the wood, where it came from etc.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I believe that folks who choose wood in a pen want to know the species, and all mine have it recorded on the label. If they are "landmark" woods, from a special site or object then I print the relevant info on a hand-out that goes with the pen. For instance, some time last year I bought fifty blanks of Cedars Of Lebanon tree that had been taken from an ancient Irish monastery. Another example is the blanks of Castellano Boxwood our Lord Woody sent me. He was on an old estate and the owner allowed him to remove some nice pieces for his own use. Like antiques, it's good for a pen to have some history.

Bob.

L33

First Name
Lee
I have been labelling my pens up just in case and it is a way of promoting a better pen I guess (e.g. Pine can be better presented as Scandinavian Redwood) but it just made me wonder if people take notice...I see by the sound of things they do :) which is good and perhaps obvious now i think about it as it may explain why none of my 'Pine' pens went at the weekend hahaha!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
If you want to be posh then use the latin name as well that really impresses the punters sorry customers

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Yeah, I guess so...looks like I might need to swot up a bit though...Amboyna and Thuya is a new one on me...that's the beauty of this pen making...you get to see and use new woods you'd never dream of ever using in normal woodworking.

It makes a huge difference, these are made of the local Malbec grape vine, just being able to say that means that they sell 4 times more than walnut simply because the area is where they all work. I also find that people not only expect you to know your woods but also where they come from and what their properties are as well as what to use to maintain them etc. Round here most of the people are farmers, vineyard workers or lumbermen and they all try too catch you out. Also a nice display of different coloured woods is essential, if they are all the same colour then no one will be attracted. Finally, the more Burl/Burr you can get and the more interesting figure the better the price, so I will sell a thuya burl pen for twice the price of a walnut one, but then I keep the best woods for the higher end mechanisms.

View attachment 30956

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I agree with everything that Pierre has just posted. Plus - don't bullshit your customers with names like Scandinavian Redwood - if it's ply then say so - and charge less for these than you would for "real" wood.

Bob.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Representation is complete when you name the timber you choose to make pens.

Customers in the lower states of Australia go crazy over deeper reds, in the north more valuable concept is realised with lighter timbers.

A buyer will use any excuse to change their mind, this makes a survey invalid to test if they really want to know what timber, provenance etc.

Specific areas such as Pierres exist in Australia, make and display what sells readily using up market exotics the same way Real Estate and Car Sales people do.

Having info on a tag saves you from the tyre kickers. Selling never was meant to be easy, what sells heaps this time may just sit there next time.

Have fun that keeps you going selling.

Peter.

L33

First Name
Lee
I guess the answer then to my initial question is a huge fat yes... :)

Looking forward to getting clued up on some different woods...and what better excuse to go out and buy a load of new blanks haha.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
If you want to study the woods and what they are like, there is this site here: HobbitHouse Wood ID site

When I start using a new wood I print off a data sheet and stick it in a folder which I carry round, then if I can't remember I can open it up and discuss it with the customer (this removes the bullshit option and adds to your credibility which then adds to your customer service).

There is also, on this site, a member ligna terrae, I think he is called and he seems to know what he is talking about, moreover he sells loads of blanks. I haven't bought from him but his listed range is huge.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I have a slightly different take on this I'm afraid. Of course people will always be drawn to pens with local interest woods of special interest woods, but aside from that, most other people will be drawn to a particular pen because of its appearance, not because it happens to be made of any particular wood. They all want to know about the wood once they're drawn to it, and you will make more sales by being able to answer sensibly and knowledgeably, but it is a minority who approach and ask if you have a pen in this wood or that wood. Therefore choose your wood on the basis of its appearance, not because you think the name of the wood is more exotic or impressive. If a fancy name is required to sell a pen, why do plywood pens sell?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Lee, I agree with all the above comments in knowing the wood and where it has come from.

I repeat what a young man on here called Neil, "I don't sell pens, I sell a story" if a specific type of wood has a story then add it to your pens. Even better if you have a print out of what it is to give them with the pen.

I have a couple of customers that have pens from me, such as some Irish bog oak, historical boat woods, woods from places where famous people were born etc etc and all just for a talking piece.

I have some walnut from a tree where Percy Thrower was born, the tree overlooked the house. They sold well to gardeners. You just need to make sure it's authentic and can validate where it has come from. Make sure traceability is covered.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I have a slightly different take on this I'm afraid. Of course people will always be drawn to pens with local interest woods of special interest woods, but aside from that, most other people will be drawn to a particular pen because of its appearance, not because it happens to be made of any particular wood. They all want to know about the wood once they're drawn to it, and you will make more sales by being able to answer sensibly and knowledgeably, but it is a minority who approach and ask if you have a pen in this wood or that wood. Therefore choose your wood on the basis of its appearance, not because you think the name of the wood is more exotic or impressive. If a fancy name is required to sell a pen, why do plywood pens sell?
This is my experience from the fairs I have done. Occasionally I get asked what the wood is, but mostly I'm asked what the material is, wood or acrylic. If someone picks up one of my pens I'll tell them what wood it is. But Phil is right, most punters pick a pen because they like the look of it rather than because it's made from a particular material. They then may ask what wood it is but most don't. Most punters that walk round the fairs look anywhere but at my table, but that's another topic of discussion:rolling: :funny:

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
In some cases no the customer isn't interested in the type of wood TO BEGIN WITH. But once you start telling them about the different types of wood the majority of people become far more interested.:thumbs:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark

I found the same.:thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have witnessed quite a few stands where pens were being sold. Every potential customer appeared as a one off to me in their approach.

I have talked of my mate who sold regularly underpriced at a weekly market. One day I asked could I stand in his stall and talk to customers. By the time I finished explaining this was my mates work, details, the timbers etc at treble the price they sold and sold. From 75 AU to 750AU(Bud Vases) once he stopped deprecating himself and his work. Also his boxes sold for 20,000 US in the States. A near local bloke used to buy from him for 9 to 10,000AU and resell in the US for the 20 grand.
Wish you well with your special work it helps if a friend would stand by, observe and then tell you what they see and experience.

Peter.

L33

First Name
Lee
Sold a pen today, and whilst it personally wasn't too important to the customer about the wood type etc, they wanted to know all the woods in the segmented blanks as they said it would be important to the person it was being sent to as a present. Looking at the comments on here and the feedback from customers...it's very clear that people buying them really do have an interest in the wood type, and thats good, I'm pleased, because it's important to me too and its nice to know that people buying them feel the same way. I just have a lot of swotting up to do because my knowledge of wood stops at Oak haha.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).