• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Drilling acrylic blanks for pen tubes

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Update I have been messing with the diferent sets of chuck jaws to see what the difference is. I have come to the conclusion that if I pop the Axminster lathe jaws on my Milling machine I can modify them to fit on my metal lathe this then gives me the option to use any of the Chuck fittings on the metal lathe. An interesting project that will keep me out of michief for the week end. But un likely I will use anything other than the pen jaws on the metal lathe. Of course if it works and some one else has a metal lathe they would like to mount pen jaws on ???
Hmm it appears these soft jaws are not soft at all I took them into work marked them up for drilling popped the centres were the holes needed to be so I could tap them to accept the pen jaws. popped them on an industrial pillar drill with with very expensive drills that will rip through just about any thing. Nothing the drills just spun and got very hot but made no head way at all drilling any kind of hole. So I have switched to plan B. Not sure if that is going to work either. I suppose I could refit them on the wood lathe and use them as they are intended. Any way we wil see.
Its all a learning curve.

Gert Fitcher

First Name
phil
I find blanks easier to drill with engineering jaws than with pen jaws, I can build out out of square blanks to square with slivers of timber and hot melt.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Well up to now I think plan B just might work I purchased a couple of stainless steel bolts in 1x8tpi UNC. They fit the wood lathe chuck perfectly. I just need to machine one to fit in a collet and the pen jaws and all the add on bits hopefully will work on the metal lathe. If it works the wood lathe is unlikely to be used again. The only thing I turn is pens. A job for the week end. while her indoors is watching all the pap about the Crowning of a old man as King.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).