• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Drilling Pen Blanks on the Lathe Tutorial

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just rereading this morning Monday here clear and clean drilling is so important we owe a debt of gratitude to you for your clear and clean descriptions, bravo Walter.:bravo::bravo::bravo::thanxs:

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Regarding the holding of chuck in tailstock when withdrawing drill I got caught out the other day as the chuck and drill were left behind when I retracted the tailstock leaving chuck spinning at several hundred revs which snapped the drill bit before I had a chance to stop the lathe one of my good bits to.This issue does seem to be a flaw in tailstock design with wood lathes as I have never had any issues with chucks in metal lathes.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Regarding the holding of chuck in tailstock when withdrawing drill I got caught out the other day as the chuck and drill were left behind when I retracted the tailstock leaving chuck spinning at several hundred revs which snapped the drill bit before I had a chance to stop the lathe one of my good bits to.This issue does seem to be a flaw in tailstock design with wood lathes as I have never had any issues with chucks in metal lathes.

This incident or one close to it convinced me to take precautions I have never regretted. Thanks mate.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).