• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dust Extraction Advice

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Hi I have finally started using my wood lathe I cant believe how much wood shavings and dust it generates what do you guys use for extraction whilst turning.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
As Bill. Twin motor extractor tubed to the lathe . Don’t go chip extractor route , you can see the fine dust escapin* through the fine cloth filter bag , and that’s the most dangerous dust.

Look at the Camvac stand at the show . I also have a ceiling air purifier ( ambient record dust extractor ) but that’s a bit overkill really to be honest

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
This hobby is starting to get very expensive I dont see how I am going to make any money out of pens. So far £250 worth of gouges/chisels just to get me started.
That does not take in to account the cost for the lathe and chucks and tuition and sharpening system oh my how expensive are sharpening systems. The Club I go to have a Robert Sorby pro sharpening jobby but you are only allowed to sharpen the Clubs Gouges and Chisels on it.
Having said that every Club lathe there are nine of them has a full set of tools to use with the lathe..
On the plus side I have snowmen I have mushrooms and toad stools and Gonks I have Chrismas trees all in wood of course. Just need to find out were to sell them I gues I need to start looking at craft fairs or Etsy.
Need to sell some thing soon because this is draining my bank Ballance.

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
I have a Record Power DX1000 extraction. It can be taken of from one machine to another, just needs extra pipe on each and a connector to fit.
I have two lathes, a bandsaw, two sanders and use it to clean up the floor as well. And by getting other sizes of pipe and connectors, I am able to fit it to my saw table, router table and most of my hand planer/sanders and rip saws.
Kelvin

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
This hobby is starting to get very expensive I dont see how I am going to make any money out of pens. So far £250 worth of gouges/chisels just to get me started.
That does not take in to account the cost for the lathe and chucks and tuition and sharpening system oh my how expensive are sharpening systems. The Club I go to have a Robert Sorby pro sharpening jobby but you are only allowed to sharpen the Clubs Gouges and Chisels on it.
Having said that every Club lathe there are nine of them has a full set of tools to use with the lathe..
On the plus side I have snowmen I have mushrooms and toad stools and Gonks I have Chrismas trees all in wood of course. Just need to find out were to sell them I gues I need to start looking at craft fairs or Etsy.
Need to sell some thing soon because this is draining my bank Ballance.

This is the story of a man that took up pen turning and became a Millionaire :noway1:

Problem is he started off as Billionaire though :funny::funny::funny::funny: