• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dust Extraction

Peter-J

Apprentice Member
First Name
Peter
Hi There,

As you know I'm new to the forum. My Axminster Pro Pen making lathe has yet to arrive so I am glued to You Tube just now taking in all I can regarding this new hobby. My main concern other than the noise is dust extraction as I'm basically working from a spare bedroom. I would be grateful of your input on how best to get round this problem. This is basically my set up

Regards Peter

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Peter, it rather depends what you are trying to extract. The quietist dust extractor I have come across is the Festool but it is a fine dust extractor aimed for use with sanders and the like. I use it when I am sanding etc on the lathe but the hose is too small diameter for extracting turning ribbons. For that you will need a 100mm dia hose I suspect. Not sure how quiet one of those will be. Mine is deafening but it is 30 years old so hardly state of the art. You can reduce the noise by ducting the air vent outside but it may not be very convenient for your set up. The alternative may be to just vacuum up regularly as you go along and wear an extraction helmet to protect yourself. You might also want to put a good seal around the door to keep the dust out of the rest of the house, but obviously if you do that have a window or other ventilation open. Hope this helps a little but I am sure others will be able to add to it.

L33

First Name
Lee
I use the NV750 numatics in my workshop, cause they are so quiet in comparison to lots of other extractors. Designed for fine dust, they do the job I need them too. And if I'm ever planing or thicknessing, I encorporated a drop box so all the wood falls into that and not the vacuum :) Not the cheapest, but nice and quiet...I've sometimes left them running by mistake when I've had my ear plugs in. And you can add a hose to extract the hot air outside...I sometimes attach a hose and put it out the window, especially in the summer.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
First determine how much you want to extract, the fine dust would be the best bet for noise extracting all needs nearly a wind tunnel.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I use a CamVac with double motors in it because sometimes I use it with a planer/thicknesser if you are using it for extracting dust from pen making then a single motor unit would do. I suspect working from a bedroom that noise is one of your concerns lately there has been a post on UK workshops which will help in that department thread here :- CamVac noise reduction with a baffle tube : General Woodworking - UKworkshop.co.uk

Whatever you decide to get sooner or later you will want to build a dust separation unit which will save you cleaning or changing filters so often in your main extraction unit and emptying it all the time I got a 60 Litre airtight storage container and a dust commander off Amazon or you can build your own thein seperator.

60 Litre airtight storage container: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

DUST COMMANDER DLX - High performance cyclone filter element / Dust collector: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
I have an Axminster dust extractor with a 100mm tube in my shed, while it's good its noisy also.
Why not look on gumtree or something similar for a house type vacuum cleaner, one of the newer types, some have variable speed and they have one hell of a suction rate.
They would be ideal in a room setup with a small lathe, i actually have one in my garage where i drill my blanks and work on the Trike, quick and easy to use.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).