• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Easy woods or acrylic blanks for a newbie

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Another source of hard woods are the local carpenters shops they may part with some of the very small pieces idea pen sized to practice on. But always ask and don't just dive into their skips where loads can end up.

Even skips by the side of roads is fair game but again just ask

Don't post your address or that lot will mysteriously disappear overnight Paul. :ciggrin:

Especially the pieces in the second photo which look like Laburnam. By the way I think I need more wood but don't tell the wife I said so after just finishing my little cut up:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
You blokes keep mentioning wood that I cant get here.:sob::sob:

I,ve been sent some Iron Bark from your fair country from a forum member of a well known Aussie woodworking site which I know you and Peter are also members

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Yeh there’s a few bits of Laburnum & Rowan, the rest is mainly Silver Birch, Beech & Ash, I might have to try & salvage a few pieces for Pen Blanks before we burn it all :thinks:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I would definitely save some of the larger pieces of the Laburnum and Rowan :drool:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Loads of good advice here Graham, plenty to go at.

My take on it is out it in the lathe and spin it up, some you will win and do a perfect job and others you will fail at.

I won't recommend anything as some of the woods advised earlier to you I didn't do very well with.. but that's me..:funny:
[MENTION=1404]Bucks[/MENTION]

I wouldn't give them your address mate, they will be there abusing your hot tub as well as nicking your wood...

If they didn't I would..:winking:

DaddyG

First Name
Graham
Thanks for the offer Bucks, I need to buy everything first so am not quite ready to get going but will bear it in mind

Once I get practice in I will ask you to do me some coffee blanks !!

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Don't post your address or that lot will mysteriously disappear overnight Paul. :ciggrin:

I wouldn't give them your address mate, they will be there abusing your hot tub as well as nicking your wood...

If they didn't I would..:winking:

If you did manage the almost impossible task of getting into the garden, don’t forget to smile for the cameras :winking:

DA280BE0-5EA5-40B3-9305-9BE47735ADBF.jpg

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the offer Bucks, I need to buy everything first so am not quite ready to get going but will bear it in mind

No worries, you know where I am now:winking:

In the meantime, If you want me to cut you a few pieces of this firewood into blanks for you to practice on? let me know as I recon they would benefit from being indoors so they could be drying out more, while your getting the rest of your gear sorted.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek

Don't wait to get your set up start collecting wood now even if it is green wood. You will be surprised at how quick you can go through it especialy when practicing.

Green wood needs drying so a covered area will be needed, but. does not need to be fully weather proof just enough to keep the sun and rain off and have a good air flow.

Keep your eyes open for interesting pieces fo pen blanks.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Possibly not the best choice for interest in a finished pen, but amongst the best woods to practice turning is sycamore. It is not simply coincidence that if you go for professional turning lessons, a lot of pros will start you off with a sycamore bowl or spindle.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Graham, if your wanting some firewood as Bob has suggested to practice on, I have plenty of 12-18month air dried hardwood firewood, I’m sure we could spare a few bits & cut it into blanks for you if want some? I’m not sure how dry & suitable it would be though as I’ve never tried any myself, been to busy with the day job, family life & the moulds to do much turning myself.

View attachment 34176

View attachment 34177

What is the wood in the second pic, with dark centre and light sap wood?:thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Degree of difficulty, couple of examples.

Hand cut Stainless Steel 9.9 Degree.Made by Skiprat (Steven) on another forum swap present to me.

Then a Cartridge Pen.Painful.

A HEX CUT pen.Painful.

Easy Sth American Burl. Easy.

Cross Cut Hairy Oak difficult.

Merry Christmas Peter.

Attachments

• PJH-001.JPG
    PJH-001.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF8481.jpg
    DSCF8481.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF7385-001.JPG
    DSCF7385-001.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0013.jpg
    DSCF0013.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF8364.jpg
    DSCF8364.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 15

Paul hd

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Degree of difficulty, couple of examples.

Hand cut Stainless Steel 9.9 Degree.Made by Skiprat (Steven) on another forum swap present to me.

Then a Cartridge Pen.Painful.

A HEX CUT pen.Painful.

Easy Sth American Burl. Easy.

Cross Cut Hairy Oak difficult.

Merry Christmas Peter.
Amazing looking pens Peter. The Spanner is great.

I have seen the latest pen by Steven on IAP. What a fantastic bit of work.

All the best,
Paul

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).