• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Eclipse Tropical Teal

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
This in an Eclipse pen from Woodturningz in gunmetal. The blank is a Woodshed called Tropical Teal. I like the simple yet elegant lines of the pen, and the color of the blank is pleasing to my eye. It's almost calming.

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
Did I mention that these blanks are challenging to turn? I know that they're brittle from turning them in the past. But it seems like I had more trouble with this one. As usual, though, I'm sure it's mostly attributable to my aggressive technique. The bad chips on the right were with my usual spindle gouge. So I switched to a 15mm radius carbide chisel, and got minor chips on the left side. So I took a deep breath, and took very light cuts until I got it turned straight. I was afraid to use a chisel to shape it, so I used 120 grit sandpaper dry. I've been doing that with most blanks lately, and it's been working very well for me. It's amazing that those horrible scratches from the coarse sandpaper polish completely out.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have ten or fifteen treacherous blanks I found skew on the flat very patiently does the job. TWo samples one I rescued lost in my album.Looked liked yours.

Peter.

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
Unfortunately, I never learned to use a skew properly. But in my defense, I've made thousands of pens with a gouge. I've made one circuit board pen, and the clear resin is very "chippy". Same as the money pens I've made.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When I refer to Skew on the flat it is almost used as a scraper a little below centre, the finess is the light pressure used. Please remember we all adapt,grind our chisels differently. I started my difficult ones conventionally, changed to suit the need. Over time I have collected many chisels and before a session sharpen and use them to serve their purpose. My comments are always how it is for me as you say how it is for you, comments given in sharing mate.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).