• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Egg & Cup

L33

First Name
Lee
Getting a bit more confident with the lathe and tooling...but still feel like I've got a long way to go before making something I'm really proud to show off. This egg and cup was a practice project this morning...it nearly got scrapped at one point but it was a good save in the end. Not good by any means, but progress in the right direction. :)

View attachment 32743

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
These may be simple but have achieved some practice in your tool work as I can't see any marks or even sanding marks so a job well done. Ok a little more work on the egg shape but not much as it can be a hard shape to master even I get it wrong more times than I get it right.
Keep at it and things will become easier and speed will also come with practice

L33

First Name
Lee
Good camera angle shot regarding tool marks...not too bad on outside, but inside not perfect. Egg shape looks better in person, but definitely needs work to get to look like the perfect egg! And whilst the egg does go in the cup, the walls could possibly do with making a bit thinner for a better fit :)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
One of the best designed egg cup I have seen I like tyhem strong they get a beating over time. The egg pictured this way is difficult to define, certainly an egg can vary, there are many ways to determine this by putting a real one alongside being the first.

As you have shown these two I am impressed.

Peter.

L33

First Name
Lee
Got loads of beech offcuts and want to make some more eggs so Im gonna try something different...the shadow method. Might take a bit of experimenting but I'm confident I can suss it out.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
You've made a Grand Job of them Lee :thumbs: Getting the shape eggsactly right is no yolk ! :wink: Imay just poach this idea from you :goesred:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Cracking work Lee. :whistling:

When making things like eggs and fruit I find it helps to have a real one in the workshop to compare the shape. It is surprising how much the real thing differs from what you have in your minds eye. It can also help to take the work off the lathe and look at it from different angles.

I'll make a quick eggsit now, I dont want to trip over Vic in the scramble for the door.

L33

First Name
Lee
I can't even think of an egg joke to come back with...but i shell keep looking. I have been using a rubber egg for reference, which is definitely helpful, but limited skills are slowing me down. So Ive crumbled a bit...and I'm not sure if it'll be cheating, but I'm going down the route of trying to cast a shadow onto the piece in the hope it'll give me an outline to work from. Not sure if it'll work but there is only one way to find out. Just need my laser level but i seem to have mis-laid it. Trying my best to get it finished before Fry-day. Not easy this turning lark...definately not all its cracked up to be! :funny:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Brilliant. I like your thinking Lee. One or two problems I can see that you would have to have overcome - the increased size of the shadow and keeping it clear of shavings, but an eggsellent (sorry) solution to the problem, and no more or less cheating than a plywood template, which is accepted standard practice.

L33

First Name
Lee
Brilliant. I like your thinking Lee. One or two problems I can see that you would have to have overcome - the increased size of the shadow and keeping it clear of shavings, but an eggsellent (sorry) solution to the problem, and no more or less cheating than a plywood template, which is accepted standard practice.

I kind of have solutions to both those issues...as I anticipated them before setting up so came up with the following...

You are correct about the size of shadow changing...however, I knew I had to make quite a few of these eggs as I have lots of similar size offcuts. So I worked out how thick I need to rough each blank to round and made sure that each blank was roughed to the same dimension. I then made sure that the light was fixed too, and couldn't be moved. I then measured the shadow width. Once I knew the width, I got a vector of an egg and resized it to match the shadow width. When everything is in place, all i now need to do is ensure that each blank is turned to the same size and everything is good to go. I quite like this idea of the shadow tracing (not sure what the actual technique is called) so I think i may make an adjustable platform rather than the fixed one i made.

Regarding the shavings, a small fan fixed in the right place is good for keeping the image clear. Normally Id just blow away the bits, but I'm starting to wear masks now so I can't...plus Ive been wearing glasses but think Ill switch to a visor...so definitely no blowing away the swarf then! :)

My advice to anyone trying it would be just to be aware and careful when following the shadow...a couple of times I dug the tool into the wood as you kind of have to have an eye on both the piece and the shadow...so you just have to be a bit careful.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
That one looks much better Lee. I like the idea and great for making multiples without having to keep stopping and offering up a template.

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
What a clever idea to use the shadow Lee. Pretty sure as I only use the carbide tools which are more scraping than cutting that I would struggle to make one of these but very impressed.

If you can do one start to finish in 3min 45secs then please send to me as that would be done perfectly :thumbs::thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Liking your approach Lee, this way you will cracked the code, the one that says yes they look great., presented in an egg box magnificent.

Peter.

Peter.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
My advice to anyone trying it would be just to be aware and careful when following the shadow...a couple of times I dug the tool into the wood as you kind of have to have an eye on both the piece and the shadow...so you just have to be a bit careful.

Normally you should be looking at the top edge as you cut anyway and not where the tools cut, so why don't you make a holder that puts the silhouette at that point? You will then see the shape without any tool interference and without shavings so no need to blow.

Easter is coming up soon with all those eggs make a few bowl nests get some decent shavings to nest them in and a few eccentric chicks (Les boiseaux - petits oiseaux en bois pour decoration - oiseaux en bois deco) and sell bowls of eggs!! :banana:

PG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).