• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Elegant Sierra

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
What an excellent looking blank Angelo. Well turned and finished as well.

Some lovely markings in it as well..

Nice :thumbs: looking casting.
The plating doesn't go with that blank.

Les

But the man of few words says it all.. I think it would look better with some "Gold plating" amongst it TBH.

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
I am not so sure the plating doesn't go with the blank. It kind of frames it. Anyway I would love to see it with gold to compare...

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
First class blank Angelo ..not sure it goes with your choice of kit:thinks:

Yep that's better:thumbs:

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
The black parts of the new kit fit the black resin nicely. But I am not convinced by the gold accents though, a bit too far from the gold in the blank.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
The black parts of the new kit fit the black resin nicely. But I am not convinced by the gold accents though, a bit too far from the gold in the blank.
The colour of the gold on the kit is take or or leave it Pierre. With respect the only way Angelo can get a better match is to throw away the blank and start again.

I think the second option looks particularly classy actually Angelo, and if were mine that's the way I would keep it. I'm afraid I agree with (most of) the the others about the chrome - it just looks wrong. That's a cracking blank and the only way you could improve on your pen would be to use a Taiwanese kit rather than a Chinese one, but that's just my opinion.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi Phil,
What would be the difference in the kit?
Overall quality in general Angelo. In the elegant sierra, the most obvious differences are firstly in the centre band - the Chinese one is embossed, as yours is, whereas the Taiwanese ones ares either engraved or engraved and enameled - they look and look and feel much more classy as a consequence. Secondly the Taiwanese mechanism is vastly superior, and its screw thread attachment to the nib section is superior too, not loose and wishy washy like the Chinese ones. But generally speaking, the plating and tolerances tend to be better in Taiwanese kits too.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).