• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Emcostar / Emco Rex

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Good to have projects Brian I am in the middle of several it takes your mind off the weather and health problems, this helps me.

Peter.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Good to have projects Brian I am in the middle of several it takes your mind off the weather and health problems, this helps me.

Peter.

Totally agree Peter a great sense of satisfaction to do up an old machine init?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
sorry to jump on your thread Brian

Bob u sent me a pdf recently
the kit i have coming is:
10" planer\thicknesser
tablesaw
spindle moulder
mortiser
all on a stand with all accessories as far as i can tell

Steve

OOPS, that's what retirement does Steve - dementure. :funny:

I've sent another 4 out in the last week. One to France, one RSA and two to the UK. People do a search and find the thread on UKW. It's been running for about 5 years!:rolling:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I like the kity machines but they are a bigger lump of metal and I don't wanna house that size of rig.
Neil had one I never saw him use it and often looked t it as viable thing and maybe if I had a garage with concrete floor then yes but in a timber shed exposed to the elements I think this would be more handleable.
I could be wrong and hate it but we'll see, if the worst comes to he worst I could flog it on again.

The little K5 is no larger than your Emco as far as I know Brian and I doubt it's heavier or better built either. Mine is stored in a garage and I roll it out when I want to use it. I've hauled it on to my trailer a few times as well and used it on site. Amazing what you can make with a little machine and I really look forward to seeing your project evolve.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Liked the U Tube video by Jeremy Broun and his idea if you paint the various functions that would also be great in different colours sort of reminder IMHO a winner.

Peter.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
brian,

just stumbled across these blades- I think some may fit your machine Wealden Tool Company Limited Clearance Items

Weldon blades used to be made by Atkinson Walker, not sure if these ones are too.

Thanks for the link, I have bookmarked it.
I have managed to source sanding belts, discs and circular saw and planer blades all supposedly discontinued, a little research found all new parts.
It's the attachments I am having difficulty in finding, just have to keep an eye on eBay wait and hope or fabricate something myself.
I have made a Heath Robinson saw guard for the time being from some ply wood, the saw table now moves as it should and rises above the blade.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Stripped it down and started rebuild, needs some new bits as it gets put together which are like rocking horse poo so I'll have to make em myself.

P1100072.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Well on the way nnow Brian what functions are deficient at this stage? Looks like the main ones are there, my dearly beloved used to say she thought I enjoyed the chase, refurbishing so much I would be dissapointed when that was finished. In photography I used to want every accessory ended up not ever using most hope you fare better.

Peter.:fingers:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
At this moment Peter most of it is deficient, attachment wise I have none of them apart from the Planer thicknesser.
That will work in it's own right as a standalone machine but I expect to use it as intended on and off the machine.

What is there and working is the belt / disc sander, band saw, circular saw and the planer thicknesser.
I have circular saw blades to fit it and the sanding belts, discs and band saw blades on the way in mail.

It has a m14 thread on the spindle which is the same as my angle grinder so all the attachments for that will fit, Jacobs chuck, wire brushes, buffing wheels etc.
I also have grindstones that will fit that spindle and with a bush made to fit I have a spindle moulder head to go on.

Plan to make a backplate for a chuck to spin some wood on it and either make a tailstock or buy a cheapy and pervert it fit.
It has the bottom part of the scroll saw built in but the top part runs from the circular saw guard which is missing so a bit of thinking to make something up for that.
The jigsaw attachment runs from the same piece so a drive needs to be made for that to run from the saw spindle and the router will go on top where the jigsaw hole is.

Lots of work to do so will be ongoing project for some time to come but so far I am very impressed with the motor and how its runs the circular saw and band saw.
In fact probably the best circular saw I have owned, totally vibration free and quiet too, I am losing approx 1 inch on the width of band saw cut from the Axminster but I will live with that.

A good job I did strip it cos I found the aluminium clutch wheel that switches the gears over was full of hairline cracks and the bronze lever bushes almost worn through so I'll need to make new ones up as I don't suppose I will be able to replace them with original stock.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
You should not miss the jig saw they are small hand items so the unit as you described your improvements should give you a good run, a good saw is hard to find so this one will repay you again and again. THanks for the info does the second one you have help so far for parts?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You should not miss the jig saw they are small hand items so the unit as you described your improvements should give you a good run, a good saw is hard to find so this one will repay you again and again. THanks for the info does the second one you have help so far for parts?

Quite right about the Jigsaw but as you said earlier, it was built with one so I need one init?
I would probably never use the Jigsaw as I have a hand job and the scroll saw I have recently bought Ray's Sheppach which I intend to keep.

I have a plan for the barebones of the second one which I only dreamt up last night but am keeping mum about that in case it don't work, yes I have used the band saw wheels and guides as they were the better ones.
Unfortunately the badly worn parts are badly worn on both machines.

Thanks for your interest in my project, I will update as it happens, these things are coming up for sale but they all seem to have been plundered, any complete are way out of my budget.

EMCO-STAR EKMA 34/2 Wood Working Machine BENCH SAW JIG SAW USED | eBay

EMCO-STAR Wood Working Machine with Assorted Attachments and Instruction Book | eBay

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Just had a look on Aust epay, only planer blades and Reducing rings for circular saw blades.:nooidea:

Cheers mark, keep looking for me, it'll be worth paying the postage and tax to get the bits as they come up cos they just don't seem to become available.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian

You're right Steve it is but the only part I need from that one is the saw guard and that will leave it in the same state as mine to get rid of.
It seems to be the case with all of them, I have to buy the whole thing to get one part.
I could buy four or five before building mine to complete and then may as well wait for a complete one and save having lots of junk.
Wish I had the room and the money to buy them all as they come up and set up a used spares website.

Thanks for looking though it's nice to know people are keeping their eyes open for me.