• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Equipment requirements for stabilising & casting

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
When I have a bit more free time on my hands, I'm going to be looking into setting up so I can stabilise & cast my own blanks, I know I have quite a bit research to do but can you guys offer any help & advise on equipment needed etc?

I know the most popular pressure pots seen to be 10l but would smaller pots be suitable, I've seen 7.5l & 8l pots & if my memory serves me right I think I've seen 5l pots! Would such as the 5l be to small?

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
These are two separate processes Paul & generally you will use a vacuum for stabilising & pressure for casting, although there are products out there that allow you to cast with a vacuum.

Packrat (Bruce) who is a member on here as much experience at stabilising wood see his web page at Packrat's Wood Stabilising | High-quality wood-stabilising service lots of usefull info & you can get Cactus Juice from him & how to info. He was also offering a discount for his services at one time to forum members, not sure if he still is.

If your looking for vacuum chamber kits have a look at Vacuum Chamber Kit Offers

I'm sure other members will be along shortly with more info, also try searching the forum on the subject, there are lots of threads on here to help you

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
There are so many people Paul who cast without pressure or vacuum successfully, unless you want to mass produce them weigh up the cost and which direction you want to take carefully. Good luck mate.

Peter.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Thanks Guys, Sorry for the late acknowledgement but I ease the getting notifications!
I already have a compressor so would probably just need a vacuum pump for the stabilising, what do you guys recon on the pressure pot size for casting, is 10l a must or would the 8l be plenty big enough or even a 5 litre? I'm not wanting a great big pot if it's not necessary! If I was to use say the resin saver mounds how many should I get in the various pressure pot sizes?

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
from the research that i have done, the problem with the smaller pots is the footprint size- you probably wont get the mould in.

I would look at the resin that you plan to cast with. Alumilite needs pressure. Some of the other ones, you may be able to avoid adding air as much as possible, and sitting it on an ultrasonic cleaner whilst it sets.

I have seen examples where you can use your compressor for vacuum, by connecting the hose to the inlet. Not sure if it works for all compressors. If you do make a chamber, use polycarbonate, not perspex which can shatter.

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
Resin Model Moulding Casting Tank 10Litre this was about the cheapest pressure pot that I found. You can use a paint pressure pot, but can soon spend some money converting it for resin use- blanking bits off etc.

i prefer the pots with the lugs, rather than the type that clamps to the rim of the lid- i have read of failures on the latter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
One of the foremost users of pots had one disintegrate so he reccomends seating the pot in and down mostly below the surface of the bench for protection, he is the leading supplier in the various countries of stabilising fluid. His treatices on the IAP in the US are detailed and important reading IMHO.

Peter.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Now I'll have to look into resins! I have some Banksia nuts I want to have a go casting with a coloured resin!
Any suggestions/recommendations?

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Looking into ordering some alumilite amazing clear, but keep can't decide wether to get a couple of the small 470ml bottles or go the whole hog & get 7.5l which works out at nearly half the price in the long run!!!

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Feels like Christmas has come early for me! My casting pot has turned up today & ive just ordered a Vacuum chamber & pump, now I just have to wait for the alumilite & stabilser to turn up them we can have a play.

Paul hd

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I've just bit the bullet & purchased this for casting

View attachment 32220

I have that one and can't fault it :thumbs:

Hi Guys,
Ive just received my pot but it just has a threaded connector for the airline.
Did you have to buy an adapter so your airline fitted?
Most airlines that I have seen have a kind of nozzle that push fits and then you pull back the collar to release.

Cheers
Paul

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Hi Guys,
Ive just received my pot but it just has a threaded connector for the airline.
Did you have to buy an adapter so your airline fitted?
Most airlines that I have seen have a kind of nozzle that push fits and then you pull back the collar to release.

Cheers
Paul

Yeh you need the relevant PCL fitting to fit your compressor hose

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).