• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fat pencil

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Don't wanna nick your thread but I do wanna show the alternative fat pencil.
I nipped down the shed and got my sketch pencil out for a pic as I couldn't find one on my confuser.
This is what I mean by one piece which is a kit I prefer, can't remember where I got it from but I made it years ago when I first took up turning pens.
It has been in my shed and used plenty much, never rolled away but been dropped and knocked to floor many times.
Fits my mitt perfik with my stubby pinkies and does all my marking out, love it and think of Woody whenever I use it.
Woody's blank of spalted sweet chestnut finished with poundland CA and stood up to muchly punishment with stacks of use left in it.
View attachment 12059

Does your hat come off and make a pencil sharpener as this one does?

I have a couple of kits, but can't remember if they are without the centre nut or not, the nut sounds like a good idea, but the nutless looks better.

Peter

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I nipped down the shed and got my sketch pencil out for a pic as I couldn't find one on my confuser.
This is what I mean by one piece which is a kit I prefer, can't remember where I got it from but I made it years ago when I first took up turning pens.
It has been in my shed and used plenty much, never rolled away but been dropped and knocked to floor many times.
Fits my mitt perfik with my stubby pinkies and does all my marking out, love it and think of Woody whenever I use it.
Woody's blank of spalted sweet chestnut finished with poundland CA and stood up to muchly punishment with stacks of use left in it.
View attachment 12059

Lovely piece of chestnut there Brian.:thumbs::thumbs:

penfold1

Registered
First Name
ian
I'm not qualified to comment on your photos as mine are still cr'p. I do have two of these in oak which I made for the workshop and the nut does stop them rolling. Great for general marking as fine lead is always breaking under my heavy hands.
I doubt if I would make any to sell though as they are a bit ugly!

Makes me laugh comments about photography, it's a PEN TURNING forum not a camera club:vangry:

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
I think the point people a making is that if the photo is of poor quality its hard to make a good judgement of the work

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
For me, if a photo is out of bonk or it is on a ridiculous background, far too dark or far too light then I can't be bothered to look at it, there are plenty of good photos to look at without straining to see something the maker doesn't care enough to show in a good light, it also begs the question that if someone is prepared to compromise using a crap photo have they compromised in making their pen in some way.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
A good image is as good as a well turned pen/bowl etc .. It helps show off the beauty of the piece rather than hide it ..

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
View attachment 12059

Oh, I want some of those! I have made 2.5 of the other ones (just need to finish the last one), but that is a lovely design!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The clip also stops it rolling, so does a level desk.
I don't see an argument and don't like the nut, unless the nuts are evenly lined up it will still roll.
It is not a design feature in my book, it only complicates the kit and breaks up the blank.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).