• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finishing Alumilite/Wood Blank

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Hi,

Having been asked to make a "nice pen" for a family member, I bought a couple of Alumilite/burr blanks and have turned one down, but would like to know how best to put a good finish on it. I have read much on the site about finishing, and see that it is a matter of personal preference and taste, but I have never made a mixed material pen before.

I am happy with the finishes I'm able to achieved on wood and synthetics generally but I'm not sure how best to approach this particular blank.

I don't like cyano (worked with it in industry for many years!), and don't know how different finishes would work on one or other of the materials.

At the risk of starting a whole new debate, any suggestions or advice would really be appreciated.

Graham

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I'd use melamine along the lines that Phil Dart recommends. Very quick and good results.

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Thanks for the responses guys. I ordered some melamine yesterday, having read Phil's article.

Hope I can get to grips with it!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).