• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finishing pens with made of acrylic/wood hybrid

btaylor13

First Name
Brian
Hi all,

I have a nice pen blank which is an acrylic/ wood hybrid. I’m just not sure how to finish when turned. Normally I sand up to 600 grit then use sanding sealer and then melamine and finally Canuba wax for my wooden pens.

Any thoughts on the best finish for my hybrid blank would be much appreciated.

Brian

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi Brian,
The wood still needs sealing/finishing I treat the same as wood, which is close to your method described.
Good luck

darrenreid1967

First Name
Darren
Melamine or CA is what a lot of makers use. I prefer CA as my choice of finish. Then it is whether I want a matte, satin or high gloss finish to the pen. That determines how far I go with my finishing techniques to achieve that.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
A lot depends on who made the blank in my experience. Best practise, according to many, is to stabilise the wood before casting, which in essense means that the wood is plasticised and as far as finishing is concerned, it can be treated as an acrylic. Lots of blank makers probably don't stabilise first though, but even so, if it's porus and its cast under pressure, it will probaly still have taken in some of the resin, and therefore there is still a strong argument for treating it as an acrylic.

I find the best way forward is to make a judgement when you're turning it. If it seems to behave like untreated wood under the gouge, then you'll have to finish it like wood, but if it seems to be "resiny", then maybe an acrylic-like treatment will do the job.

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
Exactly what Phil has said.
I do both Hybrids - Stabilised and Unstabilised as Hybrids both have a different feel when turning and both turn out different in the end.
I prefer the stabilised blanks (I do them myself), they do turn out better and the finish/feel is better as well.