• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First Beech natural edge bowl

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Thanks Bill!

I just couldn't save the bark.... lack of experience on my part I think!

Going to try another natural edge bowl shortly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We've all had this trouble at one time of another Steve. Run ca around the bark & where it joins the timber on the outside & add more if needs be as you turn your outside. As you know a bowl should be turned from base to rim but in the case of a natural edge turn from the base nearly up to the bark then turn from the top of the bark back towards where the bark joins the timber. This way you have a better chance of keeping the bark on. When you turn the inside as soon as you're passed the bark use ca & again in the same way as you did the outside. Best of luck with your next try.:praying:

steveisfound

Registered
First Name
Steve
We've all had this trouble at one time of another Steve. Run ca around the bark & where it joins the timber on the outside & add more if needs be as you turn your outside. As you know a bowl should be turned from base to rim but in the case of a natural edge turn from the base nearly up to the bark then turn from the top of the bark back towards where the bark joins the timber. This way you have a better chance of keeping the bark on. When you turn the inside as soon as you're passed the bark use ca & again in the same way as you did the outside. Best of luck with your next try.:praying:

That's brilliant advice Bill! I have taken that on board and will apply the technique on my next natural edge bowl!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).