• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First Etched Complete Pen

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
A nice pen Paul but I am not sure about the bit on the wood I would have liked to see it without the feature

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Paul what did you use as a shroud.:thinks:

I did exactly what Fred said in his instructions except that I used a power source rather than a battery. A dish of salt water with a piece of copper at the - end and the bullet at the + end.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Ohhhhhh!... I see, I think Brian... so did I have the terminals on the wrong way round?

Frankie... Ted pointed out what you were asking and I used a sharpie to cover the bits I didn't want to etch. :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The - end to bullet and the + to the copper, in a good heavy salt solution.
The way way you did it depending on the catalyst I fancy you created a copper sulphate solution (solution turns a blue colour).
The sulphate crystals have coloured the shell case, not undesirable but nt strictly etching either.
Here's a good little instructable

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I did exactly what Fred said in his instructions except that I used a power source rather than a battery. A dish of salt water with a piece of copper at the - end and the bullet at the + end.

Does it matter the result speaks for it's self:mooney2:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Does it matter the result speaks for it's self:mooney2:

Doesn't matter in the least aesthetically, it looks good even if not the intended result.
It only matters to me as the process is completely different.
Etching is eroding into the material taking it away to leave an effect the Anode is not necessary in etching as my link explains.
Plating is adding material to a surface to achieve a result.
Pedantic? Maybe!! This explains the chemistry of the process.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).