• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First ever acrylic pen

mattkemp

First Name
matt
This has been a material that has caused me a lot of frustration but finally after 4 cock ups I managed to produce this but not sure if you can see it but you can see the tubes through the acrylic is there a solution for this? Any help would be gratefully received I had considered spraying the tubes to match acrylic on next one but not sure if it would be any better

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cheers

Matt

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Well done on your first acrylic:thumbs:

Paint the inside of the blank rather than the tube, with really translucent blanks you can see the glue if you just paint the tube. Using white or black paint can alter the appearance of the blank radically.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Man they are messy to turn I think you did well mate the see through part can be easily eliminated sometimes hard to tell beforehand.

Peter.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Think my first 6 or so acrylic had just that problem Matt, this whole pen turning addiction is just one learning curve after another

looks good to me

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
Some acrylic blanks are very translucent. You can paint the tubes, color the epoxy, and/or paint the inside of the blank(s).

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 37
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 36

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Think the general advice seems to spray the tubes. I did two with the tubes and C.A. very visible, damned annoying, but we learn fastest by our errors. Great job just the same. I personally often replace the provided central ring with a contrasting piece of acrylic, or aluminium if the kit matches it. Just a thought, avoids the wasp waist effect.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Your on your way now Matt well done plenty of good advice to help you on your way mate happy turning

Jim

Grand Master
That is a good effort Mark, small cuts and sharp tools is the answer with Acrylics .. :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).